Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

KarenV

KarenV

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yesterday morning, I went to turn on my computer, which was odd, because it is normally just in "sleep" mode, but when I tried to turn it on, I got the blue screen with the following error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware ot software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and the select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP:0x000000D1 (0x00000010, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF73B6DFA)

*** aiStor.sys - Address F73B6DFA bast at F73A8000, DateStamp 40608c73

I couldn't ESC out of it, had to turn it off & back on by tower. I tried several times & just kept getting the blue screen with same message. It won't let me boot up in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration or Start Windows Normally. When I try pressing ANY of these, I get a list of about 20:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\perc2.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\perc2hib.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hpn.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cbidf2k.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\dac2w2k.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\disk.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\fttmgr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sr.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\N360\0305020.00BS
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\drvmcdb.sys

and so on...

Turn off & back on by tower, pressed F12 for BOOT MENU

System Setup
Boot Sequence
1. Onboard or USB Floppy Drive
2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive
3. Onboard IDE Hard Drive (not present)
4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

Maintenance
Load Defaults
Reset every option back to way it was when the system left the factory.

Save & Exit

Back to black screen w/ Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/ Networking, etc... still getting the same list as above, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk and so on, when I try to select any option.

Went to Hard Drive Diagnostics
Drive 0: ST3160023AS-PASS
Drive 1: No Device
Drive 2: No Device
Drive 3: No Device
Drive 4: JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166- Diagnostic not supported
Drive 5: PHILIPS DVD+/-RW DVD8631- Diagnostic not supported

Back to Safe Mode Screen - Same list as above

Boot to Utility Partition

Ran Express Test
Error Code 0F00:136C
IDE device failed

Ran Extended Test
Verified colors, alignment, keyboard but had to exit out of test because the mouse I use has a ball, not a middle roller button. Of course.

Went in and tested everything one at a time.
Started with Drives since that's where the apparent problem is coming from.
SATA Disk S/N=5MTOGLCQ
Confidence Test-PASS
Device Self Test-PASS
Read Test-Error Code 0F00:0244 Msg: Block 181211417-181211440: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.
Seek Test-PASS
S.M.A.R.T. Test-PASS
Verify Test-PASS

I have tried inserting the XP software, a ResourceCD and nothing happens. Just keep getting the BSOD or the Safe Mode screen which doesn't allow me to do anything.

After all of this testing & trying, I give up. I have no idea what to do, and no idea how to do it if there is something that can be done.

I am not very computer savvy, and the tech lingo is like Chinese to me. Is there anyone that can please help me understand what is going on with this computer and if possible, how to fix it? In words, phrases & directions I can understand?

I've looked online for results. A lot of people have had the same problem, but the lingo is confusing & then they never come back to the post to say if what they did worked or not.

Help is very much appreciated.

Advertisements

magnificentbird

magnificentbird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the exact same problem with my Dell. I got puppy linux and was able to see that my hard-drive isn't corrupted, although it may be infected by a virus - I haven't been able to check yet. I think this is a virus honestly, that has thrashed windows files. I am unable to get a start disc to work either. I hope we can find a solution, right now I'm going to virus check through linux - I'm installing Unbuntu on a separate drive. Then I'm going to wipe the intial hard drive and reinstall windows. Hopefully that will work... unless someone can think of something better to do.

Thanks!

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

KarenV

KarenV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I can't get into the computer to do any of that. Hard Drive Diagnostic, yes, but when I enter that, it runs the test and that's it. Thanks anyway.

Any other suggestions?

KarenV

KarenV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so I finally got the system to boot up from the WinXP CD... magnificentbird, I did this by putting the CD in the DVDrom, restarting, tapping F7 and it finally asked me to press any key to boot from cd... don't know if that will help you.

Anyway,

Press any key to boot from CD - CHECK
Press Enter to Set-Up Windows - CHECK
F8 to Agree - CHECK
Existing Partitions - NO DISK IN DRIVE

Pressed C to create a partition, nothing happens.
Pressed ENTER - BSOD again with new error message that says:

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Again, I am at a loss. Any help at all???

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Hard Drive Diagnostic, yes, but when I enter that, it runs the test and that's it.

What exact tool did you use?
What were the results?

KarenV

KarenV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I dont understand what you mean by "what tool" did I use. I restarted the computer, tapped one of the F commands, not sure which one it is now, selected hard drive diagnostics, it said it was running the test for maybe a minute and then nothing happened.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Please, re-read my reply $3

KarenV

KarenV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, so I'm still not getting anywhere with this [bleep] computer. Broni, you're just a little too technically advanced for me, sorry.

The problem Im having now is, when I go into the Recovery Console, it's asking me for the administrators password. I've typed in every stinking password we've ever had on the computer and it's still saying invalid.

Is there anyone that has had a similar situation and knows how to help me?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do not type in any password. If none was setup then just click enter. That should allow you in then.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download the following file: rc.iso....go here..then run chkdsk /r
from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....when you get to the screen that gives you the option to install or repair ...select r...then when you get to the prompt...type in chkdsk /r..press enter

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
While chkdsk is running you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. or a black dos box depending on on which cd you use... a Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage....
there are 5 stages...it may appear to hang a a certain % for a hour or more...it even will sometimes go back over a area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER OR YOU CAN HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS...it can take a long time depending on how large the drive is...
You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer....

if you can't even boot into safe mode after running chkds /r then a repair is in order...go here for the how to guide...
if that fails the the hard drive is dead or severely damaged

KarenV

KarenV

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Nevermind... I entered an invalid password 3 times, it told me to hit Enter to restart... hit enter, walked away from the computer, when I came back, the computer is working fine. Like nothing had ever happened.

I don't know what the [bleep] happened, but it seems to have fixed itself somehow.