Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstall XP problems

• Please log in to reply

steveoh

steveoh

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have tried to reinstall windows XP following you recommendation but always get the following error message, "windows XP setup cannot run under safe mode set up will restart now". I have tried to press F5 to enter in normal mode but I cannot do this.I was advised to go into safe mode to remove molgXP.dll but as soon as I did computer would not open in safe mode or normal hence reinstall and also hence why computer in safe mode.

Bullguard support is recommending I do the following:The next step would be reinstalling it, using the same CD you have now. But this will also mean you will have to reinstall all your drivers and programmes (if they had any parts embedded in the Windows folder).
[Ionut]: To do that , by following the suggested guide, when prompted to press R, press Esc instead.
[Ionut]: Do not format the drive in any way. When prompted, leave the file system intact. But i am not sure.

Can anybody help?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you trying to do a Repair Installation?
If so why are you trying to do this in Safe mode?
Is your cd a full version or upgrade?
What is the make and model of your system?
What is the issue that you need to reinstall or repair windows?

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I was told to go in safe mode so I could remove molgXP.dll but when i tried to reboot it would not reboot to safe mode it would just try to reboot and then return to Safe mode normal mode reboot screen. I was then advised to reinstall.

This would not work as in safe mode so bullguard recommended I did a new windows reinstall. This means I have two window files on my computer (windows 1) and (windows) and I am about to start the process of setting up drivers etc so programs work on new windows.

I was hoping I could get into the old windows take out of safe mode reinstall windows so all existing programs would work automatically is this possible?

I have a full version of XP Pro.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So windows now boots into the new installation correct?
You have a new installation per Bullguards instructions correct?
When you bootup it gives you a choice of 2 or 3 different windows to boot to?

Please do the following in the exact steps. Failure to do so could make the boot.ini damaged and cause unstable or unusable results with your system.:

Save a Backup Copy of Boot.ini

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl and then click OK.
2. Click on the Advanced tab, and then click Settings
3. In the Startup and Recovery area at the bottom click Settings.
4. Under System Startup click Edit. This opens the Boot.ini file in Notepad ready for editing.
5. In Notepad, click File on the Menu bar, and then click Save As.
6. First in here change the location in the top white drop down box to Desktop. Then in the file name change to Boot.old and save as Text Document(*.txt) and save it to your Desktop and then click Save

Please copy and paste all the lines from your Boot.ini file in your next reply.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried the option in the safe mode options to start windows normally yet...
also BEFORE you rename and save the boot.ini...copy and paste it back here for us to look at...

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Sorry I just realised I have left off the following on the final line ... /fastdetect /safeboot :minimal as you can see I have now added it does this make any difference to your recommendation.

Thanks for your help I cannot cut and paste as on another computer but the note has the followingin
[boot loader}
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=""
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS1="MIcrosoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /safeboot :minimal

All of you three questions are correct.

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Edited by steveoh, 04 November 2009 - 10:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before proceeding with my suggestion wait for Happyrock to answer also

Ok, so lets repair it.
  • Right click on My Computer and choose Properties
  • In the Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.
  • In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings button.
  • In the window that opens, click on the Edit button...a notepad window will open (boot.ini)
  • copy the contents of the quotebox below and replace the old information in boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Happyrock I have tried this:

have you tried the option in the safe mode options to start windows normally yet...

Thanks

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
r shaffer thanks for your message will putting in:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Get around the originals opening in safe mode?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is the goal.
As I said please wait for Happyrock to double check my suggestion as it is always better to have the second set of eyes to make sure nothing is being missed.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problem is you have 3 different window boots loading. So we need ot clean the boot loader to only have one and to make sure that one is the correct one to load.

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Should I still have the XP reinstall disk in CD Rom

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope

steveoh

steveoh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
R Shaffer I have followed what you have recomended (apart from waiting for Happyrock)but when I switch on computer it says starting reinstall and then comes up with please insert Windows XP Professional and then click OK.

Any thoughts?

Steve

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep thats going to happen till we get the boot loader fix.