Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dial-up modem doesn't

• Please log in to reply

gilley

gilley

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm on a Presario V5000 laptop that has a fabulous wireless connection but no dial-up. I'm running XP SP2. What I've done so far is: a hard recovery due to multiple other issues (all cleared up now), update the modem driver, reinstalled the modem several times, set up a new dial-up connection 3x's (at the insistance of HP tech support).... The device manager says everything is working fine and there are no conflicts. The modem is AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with Smart CP currently on Com 5. When I do a query from the diagnostics tab I get: 'The port the modem is attached could not be opened. This may be the result of a hardware conflict. Check the device manager to verify all devices are functional.' ("There IS no conflict!" - Darth Vader). My daughter says this happened before and someone talked her through it so it sounds like a setting, or something, somewhere. She doesn't remember who it was or what they told her. Any ideas (aside from setting up a new dial-up connection:))? Thanks y'all. Gilley

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Forgive me but if you have wireless and access to wireless broadband connection, why do you need dial-up access?

gilley

gilley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's okay. I understand the confusion. My daughter lives in an area where wireless is too expensive and it's her pc.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
You might try changing the Com port to Com3.

gilley

gilley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks Makai, I've had it on everything from Com 1 to 5 with the same result. I've even tried initilization strings I found on Conexant's site with no improvement. I feel like there has to be a way to force the port open if nothing else but I don't know.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does Device manager show any yellow or red marks? If so, can you post a screen shot of Device manager?

Since I don't know what all you've tried except from your description... have you checked bios to see if the modem is enabled? Do you have any software where it can control devices such as the modem, card reader, etc? If so, is the modem enabled in that program?

Any other weird things happening on the laptop... like the date being wrong, etc?

gilley

gilley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The device manager is clean. I've been in the BIOS and didn't see anywhere to enable the modem there (device manager says it's enabled and working fine). Since the original post I've updated the drivers again (I had rolled them back to the original). The only other thing that is going on is at start-up. The windows start-up sound is garbled (shut-down is clear). There is a shared IRQ between the audio, video, and dial-up modem but all this worked at one time so that shouldn't be an issue.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You might try running chkdsk... it's been known to do wonders sometimes.

Go to Start>run... type in chkdsk /r, then hit OK. A command prompt window will open stating you can't run it, but will give you the option to run it at next start up. Just confirm "Y" and restart the computer.
Chkdsk will run after start up, just let it go uninterrupted and hopefully it'll find something and fix it.

Another option is to run sfc /scannow. You may need your XP disk, so if you don't have it, don't run it or it could loop on you.
Go to Start>run... type in sfc /scannow, then hit OK. Sfc will run and close if it doesn't find anything.

Note that the commands above have spaces before the "/" (slash). These spaces must be present for the commands to run correctly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I remember faintly that the IRQ is only one of the conflicts that a modem can have. It is something else in the properties where it shows the IRQ for the modem that can be conflicting.

gilley

gilley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I'll run chkdsk at my first opportunity. It may take a couple of days before I have time. This pc has a recovery partition so I don't have a system disc available in case sfc asks for it. As far as the IRQ's go, I thought about trying to change the assignment for the modem and couldn't figure out how to do it. But device manager hasn't shown any conflicts and the machine came from the factory with shared IRQ's. I had assumed that everything would work as it should after doing the 'hard recovery'. Apparently not!:) If you think of anything else, let me know. I'll get back to you after I run chkdsk. Thanks for your help.

gilley

gilley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Good morning, I've run chkdsk and it cleaned up lots of "stuff". The pc seems to run faster now but the modem still fails a query. So some progress has been made but that pesky modem is still pesky. Thanks everybody.