Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook and Word keeps refreshing every 10 seconds

• Please log in to reply

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I apologise for the delay in my response as I was pre-occupied with some technical quotations.

I did a safe mode boot as suggested and then opened both outlook and word, which worked fine w/o any flicker/refresh.

I followed yr next step of sfc /scannow and no errors were found. Ergo, I guess following part 2 of the solution would be meaningless and hece, I did not do it. Would it help if I uninstalled MS Office 2007 completely, delete the folder and then re-install

Please advise and thank you for your co-operation.

Cheers

H

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Backup your data from office first. Make sure it is safely backed up.
Then uninstall Office.
Try Outlook to make sure no flicker in the screen. If no flickering then reinstall Office and again try Outlook.
No flickering?
If it returns we will move on to some other plan of action.
Thank you for the update and no problem with the waiting as real life takes priority over this.
Let us know and I will continue to monitor your topic.

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am in steel and I have some real important techno-commercial quotes to be given out tomorrow, with drawings etc and with it being the weekend, rushing everything in before the closing of the business hours is crucial. Hence, I shall not be able to re-install MS Office before Saturday. Please do not keep waiting for my feedback till then and I'd hate to waste your time.

Getting this solved is important to me as the last option of re-formatting the hard disk is an an option I'd rather not do. Backing up everything and re-installing all the software will take me 3 days of non-stop work and that too w/o sleep, just existing on caffeine and nicotine. I did this last year. went 3 days w/o sleep, installing everything with their respective updates, starting with installing the router and do NOT want a repeat.

Thank you so much for your assistance and I shall see you on Saturday.

Cheers

H

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are not wasting my time as this is what we are here to do.
You only need to backup the office documents.
Formatting is the last option we will ever do.
Saturday is no problem for me so take care of real life and I will wait for you.

vinod_r2

vinod_r2

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks rshaffer61 for assisting ... :)

capescor before we proceed for the uninstall would you care to perform one simple task? ( if it works we can probably rule out a few items in the possible root cause.)

Click on start

select RUN
Type
outlook /safe and hit enter.
let me know if there you notice anything.. ( if no.. we will proceed with the Uninstall /re-install plan like planned .. )

Edited by vinod_r2, 05 November 2009 - 07:43 PM.

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi rshaffer

sorry for the delay .. but discovered that the flickering/refreshing is happening in windows overall ... but becomes visible when I've opened MS Office. I have downloaded and run Spybot and Ad-Aware. Caught a few cookies, but noting major. Should I move this thread to some other area or will it do here and can we solve it here?

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

H

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The issue is a driver problem I am sure of that.
Since the issue does not happen in Safe Mode it indicates a startup issue within normal windows. That being said strap in and let's try to get this figured out now.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

I took off almost everything from startup except the most basic functions and skype, yahoo, kaspersky and spybot. It's still happening and the only thing that I can think of is either some driver conflict or a backlight inverter ckt problem. One of my friends tells me that this is a classic symptom of a backlight inverter ckt problem. I think the next best thing to do is to head to the service centre and have it checked there :)

Cheers

H

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would have to agree at this point.
Best to check the hardware now to make sure and then continue with steps from there.

capescor

capescor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi

Yes. Last year I had constant BSODs and in a rush, did a hard format, losing some precious data in the process, which I still regret to this day. I found out later that all I needed to do was change the RAM, as there was a mismatch between the chips and I could have avoided that data loss, not to mention 4 days lost doing a hard format and re-installing everything.

Thanks for your help and really appreciate it. I shall re-open this thread some time next month after I've had the laptop checked. It's a Fujitsu S7010D.

Cheers

H

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem we don't close topics in this forum so you can respond and we will pickup where we stopped at. Good luck :)

Replacement

Replacement

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have this same issue with Vista, I didn't want to start a new thread when I am having the same issues.
I have uninstalled office, ran spyware/malware apps...this is driving me nuts. Any input?

sunil_

sunil_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Check if there is a Service running on your machine called 'BRSplService', if is is started/running, stop it and see if the problem goes away. This is a Brother printer driver related service causing the screen to refresh every 10 seconds.

rojcowles

rojcowles

• Pip
  • 1 posts

This seems to have re-emerged in 2017. This time Dropbox is the culprit. By suspending or killing the Dropbox processes the problem goes away and through some excellent sleuthing in this thread

https://www.excelfor...-5-seconds.html

If you change the Dropbox Badge preference to "Never show" that also works around the problem. 

Apparently a Dropbox fix is in progress.