Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having trouble with Driver Updates

• Please log in to reply

lfshadow

lfshadow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Having trouble with updating drivers. First, I don't know which Drivers need to be updated. I get 3 different results from 3 different sources. I tried Driver Detective (it said I needed to update 7 drivers.) Then I tried Driver Robot (it said I needed to update 13 drivers.) Then I went to the NVIDIA website, (they said I needed 1 driver update) (SEE ATTACHMENT)
When I try to update any of the listed drivers I am told that it already exists, or that I need to remove the old driver first, or sometimes it just doesn't work at all.

I went to my Device Manager and checked some of the drivers that were listed to be updated with Hardware Update Wizard. When I got to NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator and checked, there was an update that needed to be installed. I clicked for it to install ("nvconm.dll")and it just got stuck there, saying it was installing, but it never installed.

What the heck is going on? How do I get an accurate list of drivers that need to be updated. Why did this one get stuck?

Attached Files

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Is there a reason you're wanting to update your drivers? Is something not working correctly?

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, My computer was slow and I could not find the reason for it, so I went to "pcpitstop.com" and ran a full scan. It said I needed 2 drivers updated.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A slow running pc can have many causes. Maintenance, defragging, getting rid of Temp/internet temp files, malware, virus'. Slow machines rarely are slow due to old drivers unless some application that requires them specifically instructs you to install them. You don't need to update drivers just to update them.

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes, I know. My computer was running slow and I check all the causes: Maintenance, defragging, getting rid of Temp/internet temp files, malware, virus', etc. and this did not help. So I went to pcpitstop and ran a full scan to see if they could find the cause. Their scan did not show anything that would cause my computer to be slow, however, it did show that I needed 2 driver updates. So I tried to update them since it was the only thing left to do. PCPitstop does not give you the updates to download so I used the driver update software that would.

My computer is still running very slowly and freezes up sometimes.
I did have a virus (malware- "Total Security") about a month ago and supposedly got rid of it, however, it has been running slow and freezing up ever since then.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
If you had a virus and are not sure if you totally removed it, I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own and may have better tools to check your machine. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the requested logs in the Malware forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then state that in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from a malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

lfshadow

lfshadow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you. That's a good idea. I'll do that.