Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Acer Aspire 5536 Start-up struggle

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, my Acer Aspire 5536, just a month old is struggling at startup.
When I press the power button it sounds for a few seconds like the computer is coming on,
fans whirring etc, and some noise from the CD drive, but the noise then basically dies
and the screen remains entirely black throughout. This is the case for about 5 minutes
before finally loading the Acer screen. Last time it quickly said something about registry
files before loading a black screen with a cursor. Using Ctl-ALt-Del I was able to get the
usual screen up as if I had been on my account all along.
If anyone has any idea why this is such a problem on this computer I would be very grateful,
and any ideas on how to fix it would also be greatly appreciated. Occasionally the computer
offers to go into safe mode (after failing to shutdown properly) before 'attempting repairs',
failing and then coming on anyway.
This would be less of an issue except it started the day after the 28 days ran out with Currys
and I'm trying not to have to send it away to be fixed.

Cheers to anyone that can help, if you need any more details just ask