Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound after Security Tool & Antivirus Pro 2010 infection

• Please log in to reply

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
A couple of weeks back I found my computer severely disabled because of a number of virus infections after Security Tool and AntivirusPro 2010 became installed on my machine. I found this site completely by accident and decided to try it.
I worked very closely with "Chamber" on the Virus & Spyware forum for the past two weeks and have been able to resurrect my machine completely. He has officially given me a clean bill of health and encouraged me to create a new topic in this forum to see if anyone could offer help.
To be clear, prior to this infection there was absolutely nothing wrong with the sound aspect of my computer. During the time I worked with Chamber I noticed that my machine was eerily quiet. There were no sounds whatsoever even when downloading of new application was completed, when I would open or close sessions, when I rebooted, etc.
I finally tried to plug in a CD and see if it would play. Normally when doing this Windows Media Player would launch automatically and the CD would play. Now neither WMP nor any other player application will launch automatically. If I manually select the CD/DVD drive in Windows Explorer and tell it to Play, it will launch iTunes (don't know how the default application changed) and shows that the CD is playing but there is no sound. I have manually opened WMP and played the CD with the same results. I even tried to play a song from YouTube and got the same result. Shows music is playing but no sound.
I openeded my sound icon and nothing is muted. Manually turned up all volume switches and can see the volume "bar" in the sound graphic increasing the volume, but no sound. I even checked my Device Manager to see if there were any errors indicated but nothing out of the ordinary. The DVD properties show that "This device is working properly" so I don't get the impression that there is anything wrong with it.
At times I can hear slight "pops" or "bumps" coming from all my speakers - like when plugging a microphone or guitar into an amplifier as the contacts make a connection....but that is the extent of it. Just before and during the time the sound quit working, there were no severe storms or any other electrical issues that should have affected the sound card. So at this point - I have no idea what direction to go. Am open to any suggestions on this issue. Look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your mobo have onboard sound...
have you tried reinstalling your sound card drivers...
give us the make and model of your computer...

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
I appreciate the quick response. The problem I am having is with my home computer. I am in the process of leaving town on work related matters for a couple of days so will not be able to resond immediately. Will get back with details and follow up from there on Friday afternoon. Look forward to working with you then.
I hae not tried anything to date as I am not that familiar with what to do. Nothing done with drivers.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I won't be available to help at all on sunday ...so lets get cracken' on this on friday

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
OK sorry about the delay.
I have a Dell XPS 600 and apparently a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) with the Dell 5.1 speaker system. Hope that tells you what you need to know.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here...click on drivers and downloads if you use your service tag number your sure to get the right drivers...
or follow the guide to get to the download page and get the creative driver and install it...
I suggest that while your at that link you get ALL your drivers and burn then to a cd...that way if you ever need to replace a driver you already have them on hand

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Didn't realize that Dell kept records of all drivers by Service Tag number. That is nice. However, upon entering my ST# it shows that I supposedly have Realtek ALC850 AC97 AUDIO. Should I download that or should I go to the Creative SB Audigy website and look for driver downloads? I went to my Device Manager and was able to get the version number of the Creative SB driver that is supposedly installed. Also the properties of the Creative SB in my Device Manager show that the Device Status is Working Properly. Is it possible that the virus messed up one of the driver files and the status could still be showing as Working Properly?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does your device manager show both Realtek and the Creative SB installed...would not hurt to get them both downloaded then use the device manager to reinstall the drivers for one or both if you have them both

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Only items listed under the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section of the Device Manager are:

Audio Codecs
Creative Game Port
Creative SB Audigy 2ZS (WDM)
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Video Codecs

Properties under Ledacy Audio Drivers lists the Manufacturer as (Standard system devices) and it is working properly.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try installing the Creative drivers again...it it still won't work...go here and get Creative's Audigy 2 ZS drivers from Creative..
they also have a troubleshooter there too...
you can try scrolling down to the bottom of the page and you can run their Software AutoUpdate client

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Actually found original CD with Creative Audigy drivers. But decided to go the route of the Auto Update from the Creative website to assure I had the latest versions.
Downloaded all updates and enabled AutoUpdate device.
After successful installation rebooted as instructed.
Now I have sound. However, there is only sound from my (2) front speakers and subwoofer. No sound from my (2) rear speakers.
While installing received a couple of warnings about the upgrade not being "recognized" (my word) by Windows. When looking in the Device Manager now the Properties on the Creative Driver says the the Digital Signer is Not digitally signed. Don't know what that means.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go into the control panel...sounds and audio...volume tab...speaker section ...click on the advanced button...
click on the arrow in the speaker setup area...select your setup from the drop down menu then click on OK...
ok your way out and reboot...

dhlavinka

dhlavinka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Was finally able to get this corrected. For some reason only the Front L/R and Center speaker volume bars were moving when I increased the volume. Moved the Back L/R bars manually and then rebooted. Now all volume bars move when I increase the volume. So I have my original sound back to normal.
The only remaining item which is strange is that Windows Media Player will not launch automatically when I insert a CD since my virus problems.
I opened my CD player Properties and chose the AutoPlay tab. Chose Music CD from the drop down menu and then selected "Select an action to perform" and chose Play audio CD using Windows Media Player. Then chose Apply and then OK.
Now when I insert a CD into my player after a couple of seconds my cursor shows an hourglass like it is trying to launch (or do something) but then nothing happens.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
one of windows patches "fixed" it so cd and usb flash drives don't automatically play because it was hacked and malware was being launched thru auto play...
more info here
I suggest you leave it like it is