Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

programs on desktop

• Please log in to reply

normonster

normonster

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I have been dealing with a slow system and the recommendations here on G2G have been very helpful. I still have a little to go when I get the time to sit down probably tomorrow and finish the procedures. I had to reinitiate the firewall during the lulls in my working on it. While in this stage of the game I’d like to ask if there is any type of “standard” program set that I should always keep on my computer. Every time I go through a system overhaul (usually tossing most of the old one), I start fresh with a minimal inventory of programs on my desktop. In the space of six months the number will invariably double with the addition of each program I am asked to adopt in order to play the latest joke video or sentimental e-card. The number of programs listed wills easily double every six months. Later, I find out many of the programs are causing problems and my system slows considerably. I also seem to gain a new program or two every time someone uses my system.

Is there a “standard” list of things I should keep? I don’t do a lot with my system; I write, play a little Scrabble, manage the photographs I use in my writing and work with Roxio to make seamless music CD’s. That’s it and seeing as I’m on the flip side of this existence I don’t see myself coming up with many new interests, computer-wise, before I log off for the last time. I’d like to keep an absolute minimum number of programs plus one or two others but I’m not savvy enough to know what will happen if I go through and delete the basically unused programs.

I’m sure there isn’t a list, per se, but I’d certainly entertain opinions.

normonster

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you talking about the desktop or the programs list in the Start menu?
Desktop is easy to do.
When installing a program do not allow it to setup a desktop Icon.
Start menu is the same way do not allow it to install a start menu entry.
If your system is slowing down have you checked your autoruns to see what all is running in the background?

normonster

normonster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks for the reply. I have been going through a series of tests suggested by "broni" and in the middle of it all I find the biggest problem is QWEST. They are having problems in my rural area and everybody is having problems. Meanwhile, I'm still running through the tests and I'm trying to make my system the best it can. I'm somewhat disabled and have a very helpful-minded wife and two grown daughters that tend to think dad wants all of the programs they use. They overwhelm me with what they do and sometimes my computer is idle for a couple weeks so the others using it try to bring it up to speed for me.

I haven't done teh "autorun" yet. How do I run this so I can see the program running in the background, like you ask. I'm not very computer oriented but come her because you folks are always so helpful and give great advice. I hope this wasn't a stupid question but it certainly wouldn't be my first.

normonster

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since Broni is assisting in another forum then please finish with him as he may be able to fix the problem with what he is doing.
I will wait till he is done to continue as we may end up giving contradicting advice to you.
I will follow what he is doing and offer help if needed.