Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

nvlddmkm.sys and BSOD

• Please log in to reply

BigCisHere

BigCisHere

• Pip
  • 3 posts
okay, I tried searching around on the forum and I read a few threads that seemed most relevant, but none of them seem to me to be the problem I am having, please forgive me if this is posted somewhere, I promise I did search...

So here goes...

A few months ago I started to get an error, to start with it was just a bubble at the bottom right, and I thought nothing of it (dumb probably) telling me that nvlddmkm.sys had stopped responding but had recovered. After getting this for a little while, it started to turn into Blue Screens, prompting a crash dump and the computer restarted. It happened a few times, and then eventually every time I started my computer up, it would just end up going straight to a Blue Screen, and the only way I could start up Windows was in Safe Mode.

Anyway, I stopped using the computer for a couple of months, but since started using it again, and of course I have been getting the error again, although rarely, mostly I noticed when I am playing games on it, if I don't play games, I don't think I get it.

Every time the Blue Screen comes up, it tells me that it is a problem with this nvlddmkm.sys, I have tried searching around, and I see a lot of suggestions for possible fixes with many more saying they don't work.

Sometimes I get it while playing games, and other times I get it on start up. Never noticed it at any other time.

I think that is pretty much as much as I can think of with regard to the problem, I will try and provide more info if it is needed, and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Give us a list of the your specs.

Uninstall the current Graphics Driver and reboot computer.

Reinstall the latest from the Nvidia Website.

BigCisHere

BigCisHere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)
Processor: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
Free Space: 327.0 GB
Total Space: 602.3 GB

Not really sure what else is supposed to go on there, that's about all I could find on it. Feel free to tell me if you need any more

BigCisHere

BigCisHere

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Alright, I feel I should post again in here.

After the suggestion to uninstall current drivers and install the latest ones, I decided to give it a try. I wasn't expecting it to work, I must admit, but I have now gone around 4 or 5 days playing the same games as before, for extended sessions without getting the error at all. So it seems to have fixed it. Problem apparently solved for now at least.

thanks go to makinu1der2.