Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Aero Question

• Please log in to reply

dwyatt2g

dwyatt2g

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I have Windows 7 Pro and when I change my theme under Control Panel> Personalization it causes my Aero to stop working. The Aero peek to see the desktop and to get little thumbnails for my open programs doesn't work. If I change back to the Default Windows 7 theme the Aero works fine.

I have set the computer to run for best appearance and also have made sure no group policies have been adjusted.

Ideas???

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
My guess is that the system can't fully support using AERO. And when trying to change the theme it crashes out. What is your index score according to windows, as this will dictate what features will be enabled.

To get your index score do the following

If you have Computer on the desktop right click it and select properties. And in the window that will open you will see system and right under that is rating. Next to that will be the windows experience rating. With a range from 1.0 to 7.9.

If the computer Icon is not on the desktop click the Start Orb, and right click Computer and then click properties. And in the window that will open you will see system and right under that is rating. Next to that will be the windows experience rating. With a range from 1.0 to 7.9.

IF your system is 2.0 then aero will not fully work, it will be enable but many of the advanced features will be disabled. A 3.0 is needed for aero functions, although it may be hit and miss. The higher that number the better.

If your system is under a 3.0 or the box in which the number is grey, then Click on windows Experience Index, Which will show a more detailed score on your system. If it was grey it may run the Assessment to see what can operate.

There is no goal per say. Just what you want out of the system. Post back with the Experience Index Score and we can continue.

Jon