Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Ethernet Driver Wont Install

• Please log in to reply

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Gateway GT5238E and I recently installed windows xp x64 pro. I downloaded the Ethernet driver off their website but when I click on it to extract it extracts it extracts to the C: drive but my HD is the H: drive. I extracted it on a different computer and brought all the files over to my computer and I tried to install the driver manually under the device manager but when I install from a specific location it doesnt recognize anything it as a driver file. I looked through the driver files and I found a readme that gives me very undetailed and confusing instructions of moving something called [IMG_ROOT] (or something similar) and changing driver files around but I dont think I have enough knowledge to do that without a step by step walkthrough. I can attach the readme but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. Its inside a folder inside the extracted driver file.

Attached Files

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

It doesn't matter where the driver extracts to. All you have to do is go to the folder it extracted to and look for the "setup" exe file and double-click on it to install the driver.

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
no, it automatically tries to extract it to the C: drive. when I click it it just automatically does that, says there is no C: drive and closes.

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh and there isnt a setup.exe file in the extracted folder (which I did on a different computer). I think the extractor is like the exe but it tries to install it automatically to the C: drive which I do not have..

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner. I was under the weather a bit... seems like so many people getting the flu right now... including me!

In any case, I think you're going to run into a lot of problems if your OS is on your H drive instead of C. Many programs will want to install on C, including things like flash, etc. You might be better off scapping the whole thing and reinstalling onto C drive. Not sure why you'd want to have to separate drives with OS's instead of just dual booting.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
A OS will get installed to any letter available. This is usually caused by other components such as memory card readers and USB drives installed.
If your OS is on H and not C, then you will have all sorts of problems with updates and programs that only want C, and since you do not have a C drive, the problems start.

The best way is to remove all other devices and reformat and install and insure it installs to C drive.

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright I think I will then. I'ts the H drive because I made partitions on my HD to dual boot with linux but never got around to it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I think you'll be much better off with a total reinstall. That way everything should go as it should. Good luck!

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I reinstalled to C and still no luck with the driver. Windows doesnt recognize it when I try to update the driver under the device manager.

issquashfluffy

issquashfluffy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
any help? I tried a different driver and now my mouse doesnt work haha

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter
4. Expand the entry with the Network information in it and then take a screen shot of it

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply