Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dead iPod Mini?

• Please log in to reply

teh_doom

teh_doom

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I think my iPod just died on me, so I'm looking through the manual and I'm seeing if any warrenty information came with it (I'm sure some did) so that I can take it back if neccicary, but I would like to know if anyone has had this problem before and was able to fix it. I know it's a longshot, but thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

--------------------------------------

Ok, two days ago my iPod Mini was acting very wierd, it took aprox. 10 seconds before pressing the wheel buttons corresponed to any movement on the screen and it would not play any songs. It would display the normal screen for a playing song, display the play arrow, but the song would never move past 0:00.

I figured that this problem could be solved via a simple reboot, ie putting it in sleep mode, but it wouldn't respond to me clicking the Sleep option. So then I unplugged it from the power cord and figured that it would run out of power overnight and then when I recharged it the equivelent of a reboot would have occured. That did not, however, happen.

When I plugged it into the charger it did nothing. I left it for awhile, figuring that it needed to be charged longer to work properly. After about 3 hours I pressed the center button and the Apple logo was displayed, then a folder and an exclamation point, but nothing else. I then plugged it into my computer and my computer initially detected it as a USB mass storage device. The iTunes seemed to recognise it. However, all that happened was that iTunes stopped playing and sat for awhile before it restared. By that time the computer was no longer regestering the iPod, but it seemed like it was still charging and displaying the "Do not Disconnect" message. I unplugged it because it seemed that nether Windows XP nor iTunes identified the iPod as being connected. It still gave me the "Do not Disconnect" message after it had been disconnected.

So, again, I'm going to look over the manual and see if I can figure anything out, but if anyone has experenced this before, please tell me if there's a fix, I'm dying without my little Mini :tazz: ;)

Edited by teh_doom, 15 May 2005 - 08:52 PM.

Advertisements

taramay

taramay

• Pip
  • 2 posts
my iPod is doing the exact same thing; the computer won't respond to it, it won't turn on, i have no idea what to do with it. i've been searching everywhere trying to fix it (i have no computer experience at all) :tazz: so if you figure anything out, let me know!!
thanks

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well you see, as it was a mjor breakthrough in space for songs. I am not sure they thought about how long the ipod would last.

Taisch

Taisch

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
yea try pushing and holding the select key and play/pause at the same time of about 10 seconds. a apple logo should show up and everthing should be cool. its happed to me before too.

teh_doom

teh_doom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I've tried the Hold on, Hold off, hold down menu+select thing, but that didn't work, I tried to run the most recent version of the iPod updater, but that hasn't worked ether. I think that I'll send somthing to apple support and hopefully when I get back from Chicago in a couple of days they'll have replied.