Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

issues installing xp pro

• Please log in to reply

christ0

christ0

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi!
I'll start from the beggining....
Oh 1st:-
Amd athlon64 3700+
2gb ram
cant remember what gfx card but cost me 300 couple years ago so its not rubbish....yet... :)

I have 2 hdd one of them is still in my computer and the other that had my xp home on it died..(as i was told by a tech guy) So i decided to ge another hard drive(1tb samsung f3) and also bought a legit copy of xp pro to install on it.
Inserted the disk into the drive and booted from it. It started going through the process of loading files like kernals an drivers then it came to the part where it says :- setup is starting windows. Its stays on that screen for about a minute then i get the blue screen of death with the code
***stop: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8090aefa, 0xf78d2380, 0xf78d207c)

I'm all googled out now! Hope someone can shed some light on what the problem is. Cheers for any help! Chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
often times when you have a blue screen during a full format/install procedure it's either a hard drive failure or a ram failure

you should run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp).
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

and you should test your ram

go Here and download the windows memory diagnostic tool and follow their instructions on how to make a bootable disk and run the program...run it for at least 2 passes and report any errors

christ0

christ0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I dont have welcome to setup screen? When it boots up i press f11 to access the boot screen where i choose to boot fomr the drive with my xp pro disk in. It then just starts wizzin through installing drivers etc until it his a blue screen at the same point every time. Will start tryin to test the mem now. Cheers for the quick reply

Edited by christ0, 05 November 2009 - 09:52 AM.

christ0

christ0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok i'm in the process of running this memtest an so far its failed 5 out of 6 on the 1st pass.....I can ony assume this is not great news..lol
Does this mean new ram, is the problem bigger than that or do you need more information?

Edited by christ0, 05 November 2009 - 10:42 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let's wait for the thing to take a couple of passes to be sure...but it doesn't bode well..

how many sticks of ram are in the system?

christ0

christ0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Done 2 passes now and failed all so far. 2 sticks of geil ram mate

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
turn the computer off and remove one stick of ram, then run the memory test again....after that test runs swap the sticks out....if one tests good and one bad...then you know your culprit

christ0

christ0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Crackin. Right i did that and my 1st stick was fine, 2nd stick failed everythin. result. Now my quick question isdo i have to adjust my bios settings now that i ony have 1 gb of ram or can i go on with the installation of xp? Cheers for your help, really appreciated.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you made any changes in bios regarding ram timing etc... you'd probably want to undo those first...otherwise you can just go ahead with the install then whenever you can afford it, just replace the bad stick of ram

christ0

christ0

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh and also is there much chance that the drive i've taken out that was dead is actually dead? or could it be that he didnt test the memory and assumed it was the hard drive? i know thats a wierd question but i'm just lookin for an educated guess tbh... dont wanna go to the effort of re-setting it up again for no reason you see. Thanks again, great site!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's possible....you could throw it back in and see what happens

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I would get the install done ...then unplug from the wall and connect the old drive and see if windows "sees" it...if it does you can move any data you want saved to the new drive then format the old drive and use it for storage...BUT because it had issues It should only be a part of your backup strategy