Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron E1505 Fan

• Please log in to reply

jarg1985

jarg1985

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi, im not entirely sure what this noise is im hearing coming from my Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop here, but it seems to happen only when the fan comes on. It produces a very loud whirling/whining noise and then when the fan turns off, the noise stops, any idea as to what this noise may be and how I can go about fixing it? I had my hard drive replaced very recently with a brand new one, so that is not the case. This noise has been occuring for quite sometime now, and it progressively gets worse overtime, I really need to figure this out, thanks!

Edited by jarg1985, 05 November 2009 - 10:59 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most likely the culprit is the cooling fan inside of the laptop.
This would need to be checked by a shop since most of the components are small and need the expertise of a technician to diagnose them. Unless you are extremely comfortable with working on the inside of a laptop I would leave this to a shop to fix.
Also how old is the system and is it still under warranty?
If it is under warranty then utilize it and have it fixed so that it doesn't cost you even more.
The damage from a overheating laptop can cause the motherboard, cpu, memory and even the hard drive to become unusable.

jarg1985

jarg1985

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks for your reply and that seems that that would be the case. Also the laptop here is about 4-5 years old so its getting up there in age.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it probably is time for that replacement then.
They have come down in price so you may be surprised at what a new one will cost now. :)