Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to get wifi

• Please log in to reply

lathamgal

lathamgal

• Pip
  • 3 posts
HELLO :)
I am not computer savvy-[ just turned 60] although I have had my mac 6 years it is still great. I only use it for email, read news and surf for info and travel deals. There has been some freezing of late.
I have dial up and I want to know how to get wifi- the computer has an airport card installed. Can someone advise me what i need to buy and do? Also do I still need to pay for a server[Now Earthlink] with wifi?

Second question- I would like to get a small laptop that is set up with wireless ability for traveling any thoughts??

I have no clue on what the terminology I see being used means so PLEASE think of me as a first grader!!
Thanks to anyone who can give me thoughts and guide me.

Advertisements

infected????

infected????

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
a small pc you cant go past an eee pc not much more than 500 dollars Australian

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I have no clue on what the terminology I see being used means so PLEASE think of me as a first grader!!

well....we need to clarify some terms here....WiFi (in general terms) means a wireless connection between a wireless capable device and another wireless capable device...WiFi USUALLY refers to 802.11 traffic (a, b, g, or N) which is the standard used for device to device wireless communication over radio waves

so...that said...

a few things need to be cleared up as to what you actually want.

have dial up and I want to know how to get wifi-

it's not suggested to share a dial up connection (nor is it easy, or worth the effort)...more than one computer on a dial up connection would reduce the speed of the connection to a level so low that it would be quicker for you to get in your car and travel to where the owner's of the website live and ask them to read it to you instead of you trying to get there with your computer...

so you would want to upgrade to some form of broadband connection...the three most common broadband connections (depending on where you live) would be Cable (through your cable company), DSL (through your phone company), or Cellular broadband (through your mobile phone company)...Cable is the fastest of the three, and Cellular is generally the slowest (though you can reach low DSL speeds on a good cellular connection)... in some locations there is a service available called FIOS (from verizon) which is basically a fiber optic line directly to your house from the service provider which allows for REALLY fast speeds. you can also get satellite internet service(hughesnet) if you're too far out of range for any of the other options (very expensive and spotty reception in bad weather)

if you choose to get a broadband connection (do some research with your local providers and see what fits best for you as far as price and availability) you can either purchase an aftermarket wireless router from any computer store (or wal-mart) and follow the ISP (internet service provider) instructions on how to share the connection with it...or you can request a wireless capable modem with your broadband connection (usually costs more, and sometimes not as configurable by you)...this will allow any computer in your house with a wireless card to connect to the internet as well as each other (for file sharing, printer sharing, etc...)

for the laptop...how much traveling do you do? how light do you really want it? mac or PC?

lathamgal

lathamgal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
WOW thank you!!! I really understood what you said!!
I will look into FIOS since I have Verizon phone.

On the laptop idea- not much traveling but it would be nice to have something very modern, light weight that has this wifi built in [ hotels offer free wireless]
I have an older Mac so I thought a PC with windows for both sides of the tech world!! Any thoughts ?? I guess it would not work at home since I do not have wifi here.??
MANY thanks for your answer!!!
Lathamgal

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

WOW thank you!!! I really understood what you said!!
I will look into FIOS since I have Verizon phone.

be aware that FIOS isn't available everywhere but if you live in a well populated area it might be (through my magic it looks like you're near boston?...if you're in boston proper i think FIOS is available)

for the laptop...there are about a million options there....and they really depend on exactly what you want to do with the contraption...

if it's honestly just checking email and watching the occasional video online or listening to music and what not....then just about anything would do...PERSONALLY i like to stick with some of the more major brands...like dell and HP. i have ALWAYS been pleased with their machines and their service (some people disagree on both accounts...but this is my experience). Some people are fans of acer or lenovo...though all of the acers/lenovos that i've gotten have come with a lot of bloatware and system issues out of the box

lathamgal

lathamgal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you again-- the more I have read online I agree a name brand like HP or Dell I will look for a good buy and ask for help to set up properly from the seller.
This website and topics are appreciated by me!! :)

arekdaset

arekdaset

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Fiber will be a waste of money. It's very expensive for what your trying to do. Read News, email, travel deals, etc... You have an airport card so the best thing would be either a DSL connection or Cable (DSL=Digital Subscriber Line) which means it belongs to you. Cable is faster but also depends on how many people in your neighborhood are using cable because it is shared.

I would recommend DSL for what your uses are. Depending on your service providers in your area- where do you live, small town, big city? - ask for a router that supplies a wireless signal. When installed you will be able to setup your airport card to use with your router. Depending on what you get come back and we can help you set up your wireless access.

If you are looking for access all around than you definitely would go with Satellite access. You can ask your provider for a multi discount if you get DSL and Satellite access.

As far as a laptop I would go with a Macbook or Macbook Pro if your looking to stay with a Mac. If you want a laptop with Windows I would go and get a reliable laptop that will last you some years. Toshiba or Sony.

Good luck