Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen of Death - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

gryzze

gryzze

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi. I was running combo-fix my computer crashed and a blue screen showed up saying:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changng video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe to remove or diasble components, restart your computer press f8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 082301C21, 0xF8963955)

I tried to pressing F8 to restart my computer normally and in safe mode but right before teh welcome screen this blue screen shows up. I don't have the Windows XP installation CD, I only have the Recovery and Applications Cd that came with the computer. Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by gryzze, 05 November 2009 - 05:26 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any reason you were running combo fix without a trained tech advising you to do so?
Were you looking for something?
This program is a very powerful program and when not used correctly it can do exactly what has happened.
With that being said you have probably corrupted a file or the HD.
What is the make and model of your system?
Laptop or desktop?
Have you tried to use the Last Known Good Configuration option in the advance startup menu and if so did you have the same results?

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I was sent here from the malware forums, I got the google redirect virus and was instructed to run combo-fix.
I ran it on my laptop which is a Toshiba M45 - S265.
I tried the last known good configuration and it still gave me the blue screen.

Edited by gryzze, 05 November 2009 - 05:49 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you have the recovery disks then you may be able to attempt a non destructive recovery. This would keep your data intact while repairing the system.
I suggest you backup the important data first before attempting this as something could always go wrong.
To backup the data I suggest using Puppy Linux which allow you to boot to a desktop and get your data. Follow the instructions below to do so.

Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I cliked on the link to Puppy Linux and was denied access. Is there another link to download puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso,I don't want to download the wrong one. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE and click on pup-431.iso
Follow instructions I posted form there.

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I couldn't get puppy linux to work. After I burned it, I put the cd in the computer and booted the computer. It just went to the startup menu.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you change the boot sequence in the bios?

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Make sure the Puppy Linux cd is in the cdrom drive before the last step is completed

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yea, I didnt change the boot sequence.
On my computer it is labeled as boot priority. I changed the 1st to CD-rom, but I don't know what to change for 2nd. The choices are: LAN, HDD and FDD. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HDD

Advertisements

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Alright, I reboot the computer with the Cd in. I get a black screen saying pre boot cd, it starts loading then it saids exiting pxe rom and goes back to startup menu.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm that is strange.
When you downloaded the file did you then use the program in the instructions to burn that file to a cd?
Did you do anything with the file like open it before burning it?

gryzze

gryzze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I used Burncdcc burn the file. The only other thing i did with the cd was put in the cd without changing the boot sequence.

Does this step only tries to recover my files? If it is, we can skip this step if it's not necessary. I have most of my important files on an external hard drive, I can do without the other files.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is all I want to use Puppy for is to backup the data. If you have it already then you can continue on to the Recovery stage.
Let me know what options it gives you.
If Non Destructiveis a option then do that. If not then we may be stuck with a complete format and fresh install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes that is all I want to use Puppy for is to backup the data. If you have it already then you can continue on to the Recovery stage.
Let me know what options it gives you.
If Non Destructive is a option then do that. If not then we may be stuck with a complete format and fresh install.