Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do I delete Windows XP from my C drive?

• Please log in to reply

fivemous

fivemous

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I took my computer to Fry's and they told me I needed to reinstall Windows because of missing/corrupted files etc.

I reinstalled Windows XP on my E drive using the CD because that's the only place it would let me do it. It said I needed to delete and make a new partition on the E drive. Now when I boot I have to choose from two versions of XP before it loads.

The one I just installed on E works just fine, except obviously the sound and stuff doesnt work because it is being used by the previous version of XP that is on my C drive.

When I try to boot into the XP that is on C I get a blank black screen (which was the whole reason I reinstalled in the first place.) So I can't uninstall it from the control panel because I can't even get there.

How do I get Windows XP off my C drive? :)

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Well you could boot to command prompt and format the c drive or just delete the files in it from the dos prompt a command such as deltree would do it. Or you could boot into the windows on the e drive and just navigate to it in explorer and delete them. As for the annoying choice option just go into my computer and select the correct option under startup.

Thanks
G

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your best bet is to start over with clean install.
Remove all partitions (unless one of them is recovery partition; in that case leave that one alone), create new partition, format it and install Windows.
Manual: http://www.michaelst...nxpinstall.html

fivemous

fivemous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks I was hoping I wouldnt have to do that but oh well

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
You will have a much better setup and a cleaner operating environment.
Since you just reformatted, I assume you have no data to save?

fivemous

fivemous

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no ive already backed up everything