Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd drives

• Please log in to reply

modracer22

modracer22

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not what you would call a computor wiz so please be easy on me. My problem is with my dvd-rom actually I have 2 and having the same problem with both. I can read and play any cd's the problem I'm having is if I want to save anything to a cd-r or cd-rw I can't. I checked the devise manager and it says everything is fine. I'm trying to locate the drivers on the internet so I can update them but having a problem finding them. I don't know if that is the problem but figure I would start there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Definitely sounds like a driver problem. Are you sure they are cdr's in addition to be dvd roms? If you posted your brand and model #'s i could possibly help with the drivers.

Thanks

G

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Optical drives DO NOT need any extra drivers.
If you have dvd-rom, it can only READ CDs and DVDs. You can't write anything.
For that purpose, you need DVDRW.

modracer22

modracer22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
They are both CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drives. I can't find the brand names but will post the info gateway list for them. I tried looking up driver for them but unable to find any but I'm new at this stuff so might not be looking for the right thing. This is the only info gateway will give me on the drives

1) HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4020B
2) JLMS XJ-HD166S

again thanks for the help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK, first one is DVDRW, the second one is DVD-ROM (read only).
So, actually only 1st drive concerns us, because the second one can't write.
What program do you use to burn CDs, DVDs on 1st drive?
Did you try different program?

modracer22

modracer22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I currently d/l Nero and going to try it and see what happens.
Thanks again

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
An easier program to use is Burnaware Free

BurnAware Free is a free CD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc burning software. It is ideal for users with basic disc burning needs as backup, creating data, audio, MP3 music, DVD-Video discs and burning disc images. Free, easy to set up, it enables you to save your files to disc quickly and provides clean, flexible interface to help you complete your burning tasks much faster.

modracer22

modracer22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry didn't get back earlier but d/l a new burn program and everything works like it should. I want to thank all of you that helped me out.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nice :)