Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the d

• Please log in to reply

audixclerk

audixclerk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

My computer has Windows XP,Home Edition Version 5.1.

Trying to run Internet Explorer:
The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll.

Trying to Run Microsoft Outlook:
The application failed to initiatlize properly (0xc0150002). Click on OK to terminate the application.

Trying to connect to Update server:
connection fails

I had trouble in February 2009 with Windows XP (at that point SP2 was installed) and tried a partial reinstal from original OEM disk (circa 2002), which might have gone beyond a partial install as now SP2 doesn't seem to be there anymore. After that, Microsoft software doesn't work anymore (Int. Explorer, MS Office). I can't connect to Internet because when I try to run Int. Explorer I get an error message.

I added Opera on, moving it from another computer with a USB stick, but Opera won't connect to Internet either and says "Could not locate remote Server" "check whether applications that rely on the same connection are working".

Any suggestions of how I can remedy this? Thanks.

Advertisements

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi
found not very much in www.
Mostly it's an outdated system
try to run an update to SP3
and i.e.8
hope this helps

ps
you'll find Shell Light-weight Utility Library in WINDOWS system32 dllcache,
in ServicePackFiles i386 and Windows SoftwareDistribution.
If Vistamizer is installed it's also in Windows Vistamizer

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth, 06 November 2009 - 08:23 AM.

audixclerk

audixclerk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Raziel v. Nosgoth, thanks for taking the time to think about this and reply. But how can I go about updating Windows if I can't connect to the Web?

Raziel v. Nosgoth

Raziel v. Nosgoth

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi again
oooops, forgot to mention:
there is a script package from 'Heise' called 'c't Offline Update 6.0'...
You need an intact connection ( your second PC or the PC from a friend)
Download and run c't Offline, it will download all Windows Updates and create
little patch packages.
Save this packages to CD/DVD or USB units.
Now you should be able to repair your pc.

You can download it from
here: http://www.heise.de/...ne_update/38170
and
here: http://www.h-online....ate-746179.html
and follow the directions

Probably you've to reconfigure you net settings.

hope it helps

Raziel

Edited by Raziel v. Nosgoth, 07 November 2009 - 03:04 AM.

audixclerk

audixclerk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Raziel,

Thanks. The Heise website is a good tip. Fortunately, I can muddle through German. I used Heise to download updates, but then couldn't install them because SP2 needs to be on first. But, now with the insight of moving such updates via USB stick I did manage to successfully install SP2 and get things going again. Then, foolishly!, I proceeded to install SP3 to be really up to date. Now I am back to where I was when I attempted to reinstall Windows XP in February and created this mess: I've got an lsass.exe error. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316751 So, that's my next obstacle.
Perhaps I'll reinstall Windows again, and reinstall SP2 again, then try to muddle by with just SP2.

Edited by audixclerk, 10 November 2009 - 06:13 AM.

audixclerk

audixclerk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Raziel,

further update: So, I figured out how to get to Safe Mode. (F8)

But, Microsoft’s advice on how to restore/repair my missing SAM file didn’t please me. I was able to “Copy the SAM File from the Repair Folder”, but that didn’t seem to work. Then I tried to “Restore the SAM File from Backup”, but that didn’t seem to do it. I was hesitant to “Reinstall Windows XP” – as Microsoft’s directions for that involved a “clean install” that sounded like I would lose everything.

Then I “restored” my computer to it’s November 6 condition. i.e., pre-my-SP3-install. So that got me back to Windows SP Home Edition, period. No SP1, 2, or 3.

Then I reinstalled SP2, fortunately still on my USB stick.

Now the system boots. Data is accessible. Microsoft Office runs. Internet Explorer still doesn't work (when I open it, it 'encounters a problem and needs to close'). Windows Media Player is also "not installed properly and must be reinstalled".

The question is, if I install SP3 again, will I wind up having a missing SAM file again, and all its attendant trouble? Hmmm.