Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st Build wont boot

• Please log in to reply

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have just put together my 1st build but when i turn it on all i get is a blank screen. The parts i purchased are as follows:

Galaxy Black Mid Tower Case with Blue Bubble Light LED Strip - 450W PSU

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition 3.1GHz 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 Retail Boxed Processor

2 X Crucial 2GB DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10600 Memory CL9 1.5 V Unbuffered Non-ECC

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO 785G Socket AM3 DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard

I also have a 250gb sata HDD.

I put everything together then went to power on and nothing. I disconnected the hdd and dvd drive and same result, I also tried both memory sticks on there own in differnet slots. The CPU fan spins and a light on the mobo comes on, I tried to eject the dvd drive and the light came on but it wouldnt eject. I also removed the mobo from the case and put it back in again and made sure all the screws where in the right place, still nothing. Any help would be much appreciated.

the mobo has built in graphics card too

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try a bench test method by doing the following.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

Please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility
Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

mr.kickstart

mr.kickstart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
tried that and it still wont boot up

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Any post beeps at all?
No bios screen when turned on?
Memory is colored coded slots have you tried to put them in the other color?
Black and blue and memory has to be in the same color.
CPU seated correctly?
No standoffs under the board any place but where a screw is connected to it?