Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1st computer build

• Please log in to reply

mike4

mike4

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
These are my computers specs. Are they good and are they worth the price?
Posted Image

Edited by mikewang, 06 November 2009 - 10:54 AM.

Advertisements

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Those components look fine. You will need an optical drive to run CDs and DVDs. You also need an operating system and a monitor. What kind of computer are you looking to build, is it a gaming computer?

Edited by ignoramo, 06 November 2009 - 11:00 AM.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
umm yeah a gaming computer i guess. But i think it is a little expensive. And i found a hd monitor but its 150 dollars..... Im not playing any intense games, but i want an impressive computer....

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
You would be alright for a gaming PC if you didn't turn all the eye candy up. You might want to go for a 4 core processor. Don't forget the CD drive.

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
i know i have a couple cd drives.... Do you know any ways to make money on the internet or make the computer cheaper?

Eclipsed

Eclipsed

• PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
Now, you don't want to make money on the internet. That is never safe and is always a farce. Don't fall for any of those pranks.

As for making a rig cheaper... You will have to go for cheaper components. The better components will last longer and are more reliable. The cheaper components won't be fast and could break. It is best to save your money until you can afford a better rig and then get one. To go cheaper is to lose out. In essence, you cannot maintain the same performance while making a computer cheaper.

breatheasy9er

breatheasy9er

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
For your build I would consider dumping the 790GX motherboard and get either 790X or 790FX. The 790GX is usually for when you're not getting a discrete graphics card.... or so ive heard

mike4

mike4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
what do you mean by discrete graphics card?

breatheasy9er

breatheasy9er

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
youll have a dedicated graphics card.... youre buying one and not just using the included graphics on the motherboard... thats the main plus with the gx, but since you dont need it the 790x or fx would be just fine... they come without graphics of their own.

however a good thing with included graphics on a mobo is that if you ever suspect a faulty video card, youll be able to remove it and see if that was the problem. but.... besides that the others would work fine, personally id rather use the fx