Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bsod

• Please log in to reply

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My vista pc started out a few months ago with some bsod's. It seemed like it was the ram I replaced them and it worked great for about a month. Then I couldn't even get it to boot up because of BSOD's I unhooked my dvd-rom drive and it worked fine until lately. It is not giving seemingly random BSOD's I can't see any pattern to it. I tried zipping my minidump but it wouldn't work. I used bluescreenviewer and made a .txt file I hope that helps.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Bsod.txt   21.07KB   339 downloads

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like RAM problem again...

A. If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I did the manual check and it still isn't working. I have an update though now when I boot it up it acts like the graphics card isn't working right. The hp screen now instead of being just Blue has white dots on it. And now when I turn it on sometimes I have to restart it 3 or 4 times just to get the monitor to come on. Any other suggestions please.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Yeah, those errors may as well mean video card RAM problems.
Do you have on-board video, or separate video card?

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a seperate graphics card it is an older model I bought it about 1 year ago. it is a Nvidia Geforce 8800gs

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Try to remove the card, enable on-board video in BIOS and see, if it helps.

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
All right I removed my video card and hooked up my monitor to the onboard graphics card. My computer will now actually boot up and the white dots are gone. But I have am still getting some BSOD's. Could my motherboard be going bad? I wanted to add that I have also had to change my time on my computer twice in the past week which is off. Could the CMOS battery cause these problems?

Edited by Smartjack, 09 November 2009 - 11:57 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't think CMOS battery has anything to do with your problems, but if the computer is losing time, you have to replace the battery anyway.

It looks like your videos card is bad, or the slot is bad. If you have another slot available, try that, but my vote would go for bad video card.

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I took the card out and used the onboards graphic card and after I found the right driver my pc worked great. I have just put in a Radeon HD4770 and it is working great had a couple of BSOD's but I think that it is just a driver problem. Thanks for all the help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)

Advertisements

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Okay I thought I was done but after trying several different drivers I can still not seem to get this card to work properly. When I try to play a game it will work for a minute then BSOD on me. It seems to do it when anything is making the card work. Any advice?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Can you post new BlueScreenView log?

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here is the new blue screen viewer log.

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Can you go back to on-board video and use it for a day, or so?

Smartjack

Smartjack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah I can that wouldn't be a problem.