Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ZoneAlarm (Free) is slowing down internet browsers.

• Please log in to reply

dan3411

dan3411

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Basically I have just reformatted my computer downloaded all the updates including xp sp3, I then installed my firewall (zonealarm) and anti virus (avg) both being the free editions, i have got the firewall settings on medium "internet zone" and "trusted zone".

The problem is that it seems very hesitant to open web pages i.e. you click on a link and the page will just show it is loading untill untill you click several times on the same link and eventually the page will open.

This was not the case before i reformated however i belive i was using a different version of zonealarm.

Also the web pages load up fine when i dissable zone alarm.

Any ideas as to what settings are causing this?

Regards Dan :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Uninstall both, ZA and AVG - known resource hogs.

Your alternatives:
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.c..._antivirus.html
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html

- free Comodo Internet Security (firewall + AV): http://www.personalf...all.comodo.com/
NOTE. During installation, Comodo will also allow you to install AV only, or firewall only, if you prefer to combine one Comodo product with some other product.

If you decide to install Avast, or Avira, make sure, Windows firewall is turned on, or use Comodo firewall..
If you decide to install Comodo Internet Security, or just Comodo firewall, make sure, Windows firewall is turned off.

IMPORTANT! Make sure, you use only ONE antivirus, and ONE firewall.

dan3411

dan3411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I thought zonealarm was quite a respected firewall? also avg?

Is windows firewall sufficient?

Which anti-virus do you recommend? :)

cheers

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Zonealarm is a very good firewall, but the later versions have become bloated. I'm still running version 5.X and have no problems with it and it does very well what it's supposed to do.

Avira is very good, as is Avast. Install one at a time to test them out and keep the one you like. Be sure to only keep one of them.

dan3411

dan3411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I'm trying out the comodo AV and firewall.. the firewall seems pretty good,
however i am unsure as to how one can tell what a good antivirus app is.

I mean if it was rubbish and didn't detect any viruses it could also imply
that it is a good antivirus there are just none to be found...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I vote for Avast
Been using it for 8 months now and the best I have seen.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I never liked ZA and as for AVG, I was using it for number of years, but starting with ver. 8.0 there were so many problems, I dumped it and never recommended it anymore.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
And now my opinion....

I have ZA version 8.0.298 and have no issues at all. I prefer it over comodo firewall.
For me (and it could just be me) it popped up requests endlessly to allow/ignore. I got fed up with it.

As for AVG, I dumped that when it went from version 7.5 to version 8.0 I noticed a significant slow down on my computer. It is resource heavy.

I prefer Avira as a virus scanner. I like the interface better.

Avast has a interface that I find difficult. I will admit that it is a very good scanner and should be considered.

123runner

dan3411

dan3411

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Cheers for the replys chaps.

I i'm going to stick with comodo for the rest of the week then try the other anti virus's suggested.

Once again great advice :)