Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Netbook Frustration

• Please log in to reply

FluxD

FluxD

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A friend gave me her Acer Aspire One netbook to work on. Whenever you turn it on the message "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD ROM. Select ' r ' at the first screen to start repair" appears on a black screen.

Problem is the netbook doesn't have a CD Drive and it didn't come with any kind of disks. I'm not really sure what to do here, I've tried starting it in Safe Mode under the Advanced Options Menu and it stalls when it tries to load the previously said file. Help?

EDIT: This netbook is only a few weeks old. It decided to die after a few days. I'm also not sure which Service Pack it has either

Edited by FluxD, 07 November 2009 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I assume, it has USB port?

If so, create USB bootable recovery console :http://tuts4tech.net/2009/07/14/creating-a-usb-bootable-xp-recovery-console/ and copy necessary file(s).

FluxD

FluxD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, it's got USB ports. The thumbdrive I have (U3) has it's own OS type deal on it and it doesn't allow the netbook to load anything from it. Also would I need to remove everything from my thumbdrive except the files I need to replace for this to work?

EDIT: Just saw that this will delete everything from my thumb drive if I do this. I'll try and find somebody with a thumbdrive that's willing to let me try this

Edited by FluxD, 07 November 2009 - 05:52 PM.

FluxD

FluxD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright, I tried the USB thingy from above and I got a new error coming up

"Setup Cannot load the keyboard layout file KBDUS.DLL.
Setup Cannot continue. Shut or restart your computer.

Shut Down Computer"

Where do I go from here?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not sure...
Maybe here: http://windowsitpro....e-kbdusdll.html

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

EDIT: This netbook is only a few weeks old. It decided to die after a few days. I'm also not sure which Service Pack it has either

I would suggest returning it to take advantage of the warranty.

123runner

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Ahhh...I guess, I didn't have enough coffee last night :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Not a problem Broni....I was having 1 of those days last week.

FluxD

FluxD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The warranty on the computer already lapsed sadly, that's why I'm in the situation that I am :)

Idea occured to me last night: What if I install Ubuntu or something similar to the netbook, copy a working NTFS file from an XP computer, and replace the existing one on the netbook through Ubuntu?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
As the companies build smaller and less expensive laptops (aka netbooks) it becomes more difficult to repair them.

There are a few options that depend on what is built in to the netbook.
To repair it properly you need access to the recovery console.
A few possibilities.
According to what I found you need to get to the bios for the boot order. It needs to be set to "boot from USB"
It should be F2 or F12.

If you created the recovery console correctly on the USB and you are booting from the USB you should get the recovery console.

Since there is no CD drive, you can't install Ubuntu or use Puppy linux that runs from a CD.
You might be able to install Puppy to a USB, but you need to boot from the USB. You can build a bootable USB, but it not as easy as burning an iso file to a CD.
If you can do this, then you might be able to move the file over. There are no guarantees this will work because there might be other OS files that are corrupt.

The following info tells how to use and run the Acer One Recovery (this restores the unit to factory defaults. You will lose all data and programs).
It uses the recovery CD's that should have come with the unit.
You can use a USB CD drive or build a USB bootable flash drive using the recovery CD's. The Acer One Recovery link shows how.

If you have data to save, you will have to either remove the drive and slave it to another computer or find a way to boot from USB flash with a linux OS or a USB portable CD drive with linux.

Acer One - Find Answers
Acer One Recovery

From what I have researched the only easy options are RC.iso on a CD using a external cd drive or the recovery option from Acer.

For the RC.iso go to the link at The computerparamedic.com that is in this FORUM

123runner

FluxD

FluxD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I managed to get Puppy to run from a thumb drive no problem, but I couldn't figure out how to view the contents of the hard drive. I was also able to get Ubuntu onto a thumb drive and load the installation process. Right now I'm waiting on Umbuntu to finish it's thing

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
These are the instructions we use when booting puppy from a CD.
They should get you through it.

quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

[attachment=35699:Pmount_f...py_Linux.png]

123runner

starrioo

starrioo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i am having the same exact problem with a lenovo idea pad how did you end up flux d