Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running a Call of Duty/uo server @home

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
For call of duty and cod2 they have linux patches to use for setting up linux servers.

I dont use linux.

Will you be opening internet servers from your business or rent from a company?

D-Link routers are good and not expensive at all.

Get the latest patch for cod or cod uo after you install it.

Advertisements

suse linux user

suse linux user

• Pip
  • 7 posts

For call of duty and cod2 they have linux patches to use for setting up linux servers.
I dont use linux.

Will you be opening internet servers from your business or rent from a company?
D-Link routers are good and not expensive at all.

Get the latest patch for cod or cod uo after you install it.

thank you- yeah the linux pacthes are updates for linux
we will have 1 server with all our servers for all the games- im not renting

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Cool how fast is the line running to your buisness? T1, SDSL??? How much upload about?

It will be really easy if you just allow all the computers to get onto the internet.

How many computers will you have hooked up total in the lan?

Edited by jrm20, 05 December 2005 - 03:41 PM.

suse linux user

suse linux user

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Cool how fast is the line running to your buisness? T1, SDSL??? How much upload about?
It will be really easy if you just allow all the computers to get onto the internet.
How many computers will you have hooked up total in the lan?

well we were thinking of a T3 and about 30 pcs- BUT they will be connected to the internet- BUT wen u have pcs on a router and connected to the internet u have to do something to allow the servers to go online(which i dont know how to do) once i make a server it goes to the LAN not the internet

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
At first I thought it was going to be a small lan party. If your getting a t3 line you will most likely have them install everything. You will probably need switches leave it up to them to design how it will be installed if you have a budget I dont know what to tell you. Cisco is the best equipment for big businesses ect, but is pricy.

You said you have to do something to allow the servers to go online. Leave it up to the company installing your t3 to set everything up correctly. After they set everything up and you have internet it is easy to open up a lan or internet server.

I only deal with home servers but its not hard to set up a server once you have a connection at your business place.

The dedicated lan and dedicated internet options within the game you are wanting to open determins what kind of server you want to open. Its very easy.

You are doing something wrong in the game dedicated setting.

-or check in the routers config page and allow dmz host, or either port forward.

Edited by jrm20, 05 December 2005 - 07:42 PM.

suse linux user

suse linux user

• Pip
  • 7 posts

At first I thought it was going to be a small lan party. If your getting a t3 line you will most likely have them install everything. You will probably need switches leave it up to them to design how it will be installed if you have a budget I dont know what to tell you. Cisco is the best equipment for big businesses ect, but is pricy.
You said you have to do something to allow the servers to go online. Leave it up to the company installing your t3 to set everything up correctly. After they set everything up and you have internet it is easy to open up a lan or internet server.
I only deal with home servers but its not hard to set up a server once you have a connection at your business place.

The dedicated lan and dedicated internet options within the game you are wanting to open determins what kind of server you want to open. Its very easy.
You are doing something wrong in the game dedicated setting.

-or check in the routers config page and allow dmz host, or either port forward.

i doubt the t3 people are gonna help with with setting up servers that go online- and i tryed setting up a home server to test it- i do the dmz thing and port fowarding- and wen i do dedicated:internet it wont show up in internet or local servers- wen i do local it goes in local list

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
okay, check all of these for at home.

- in dmz host make shure it is set up correctly. Example if your on a router at home and your ip that your router gave you is 192.168.1.1 then you put you dmz ip to 192.168.1.100

-in the game set dedicated to internet

-put the server to punkbuster disabled.

-try turning pure server on first if it still doesnt show up put it back to off.

hit start server then it will goto a console. Minimize that then go back into the game again then refresh the internet list, get new list.

Your server should show up in the internet list, sometimes it is the very last one to show up. Put it to local real quick then back to internet hit the ping button and yours should have the lowest ping.

If this still doesnt work try the port forward way.

suse linux user

suse linux user

• Pip
  • 7 posts
the router is 1.1- but im 1.3 y would i set it to 1.100? i had it on 1.3 but ill try 1.100

Edited by suse linux user, 06 December 2005 - 01:55 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
LOL, I gave that as an example suse linux user.

I dont use a router as of right now but I used to. When I was using it I had 2 pc's hooked up. On my pc the ip was 192.168.1.1 that the router gave me. Then in dmz host i put it to 192.168.1.100 All I did was add .100 and it worked. Try to get your pc to get a 192.168.1.1 ip then its really easy.

If your having trouble still, look through my whole pinned topic its all in there many times. Explains everything.

Edited by jrm20, 06 December 2005 - 03:12 PM.

suse linux user

suse linux user

• Pip
  • 7 posts

LOL, I gave that as an example suse linux user.
I dont use a router as of right now but I used to. When I was using it I had 2 pc's hooked up. On my pc the ip was 192.168.1.1 that the router gave me. Then in dmz host i put it to 192.168.1.100 All I did was add .100 and it worked. Try to get your pc to get a 192.168.1.1 ip then its really easy.
If your having trouble still, look through my whole pinned topic its all in there many times. Explains everything.

ooo my setup page for router is 1.1- so u wont mt to set MY LAN ip to 1.1 and then set the dmz host to .100? ill try- and i have the same setup- dsl 3.0 with my bros and my pc hooked up to router

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

ooo my setup page for router is 1.1- so u wont mt to set MY LAN ip to 1.1 and then set the dmz host to .100? ill try- and i have the same setup- dsl 3.0 with my bros and my pc hooked up to router

yes

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, i dont know if this forum is used much anymore but can you give me some server advice please? I used to run a server perfectly fine from my pc, but ever since i got my router and wireless internet it doesnt work.

I have opened the correct ports:

Call of Duty 28960 28960 TCP/UDP 28960 28960 192.168.1.4
Call of Duty 20500 20500 UDP 20500 20500 192.168.1.4
Call of Duty 20510 20510 TCP 20510 20510 192.168.1.4

I have enabled DMZ:

DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.1.4 (i have checked that this IS the correct IP)

After doing this and creating my config file and executing it, and also using the config file that you posted, it still doesnt work when anyone else other than me tries to connect when i give them the IP. Which according to a program i have downloaded is 84.64.28.194:28960

Have you any ideas on how i can make it work as i desperately want to. Any thing will help, thanks a lot for your time.

Samjula

Samjula

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi, i dont know if this forum is used much anymore but can you give me some server advice please? I used to run a server perfectly fine from my pc, but ever since i got my router and wireless internet it doesnt work.

I have opened the correct ports:

Call of Duty 28960 28960 TCP/UDP 28960 28960 192.168.1.4
Call of Duty 20500 20500 UDP 20500 20500 192.168.1.4
Call of Duty 20510 20510 TCP 20510 20510 192.168.1.4

I have enabled DMZ:

DMZ Host IP Address: 192.168.1.4 (i have checked that this IS the correct IP)

After doing this and creating my config file and executing it, and also using the config file that you posted, it still doesnt work when anyone else other than me tries to connect when i give them the IP. Which according to a program i have downloaded is 84.64.28.194:28960

Have you any ideas on how i can make it work as i desperately want to. Any thing will help, thanks a lot for your time.

I can email you screenshots of these if you like. Thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Ya you dont have it quite set up correctly. It sounds like its close.

In the dmz host try 192.168.1.400

Yes add the two zeros for the dmz host and it should work.

Put punkbuster to disabled.

Try running the server on pure server first then try turning it off.

Try that :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
then if the server works you can choose to put it back to punkbuster enabled if you like.