Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Interrupting Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Is there a way so that two computers won't interrupt each other when both are using the internet and the same router?
I have a family of 5 (yeah big family) and we all use the internet so it's almost impossible to share (like each person having personal time) and when two or more people use the internet at the same time, it's MEGA slow (especially when someone is watching movies).

Is there a way so that two computer's internet don't slow each other down?

Edited by Anonymous1337, 07 November 2009 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Theoretically all data will get split evenly between multiple connections and this is handled by the router.
A lot is dependent on how fast your connection actually is. If it's only 512k, it'll be slow anyway.

Anonymous1337

Anonymous1337

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well it's supposed to be cable (100 mb/s) but whenever someone is watching something or downloading, it gets MEGA slow and I was wondering if there was a way to limit bandwidth on a specific computer.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
100 megabytes per second?
100 Mb/s will be the connection speed between your computer and your router, that will always be 100mb/s.
I was referring to the speed between your router and your internet provider, which I doubt will be 100Mb/s. If it was you wouldn't have any slowdown at all!