Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Crashing on Graphical Apps

• Please log in to reply

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
This computer has started crashing within 10 seconds of opening any 3d application starting today, even in dxdiag it restarts at the full screen box bouncing test. It seems to only happen in full screen mode as I can still run 3d apps in windows
I DLed the Speedfan program, here's my screen shot.
Posted Image

The CPU temperature is similar to what I've had for years now so it doesn't strike me as an issue, even though there is a flame icon next to it.
I don't know what the Core temperatures are, how could the CPU cores be 75C and the CPU at 51C?
I also have no idea what the AUX temperature is, that is the one that scared me so I checked at the temperatures in the BIOS and no number like that came up, my GPU temperature reported by the ATI control center is 64C.
The only thing I can think of is that my power supply is starting to go out which was reinforced by another forum post I saw elsewhere on a similar topic, the computer may not be able to receive enough power to go on if the GPU draws too much power to handle more powerful graphics. So when I look at this Speedfan data I noticed that the +12V rail is under 12V and I'm currently idling.
I will buy another PS but I'd rather not spend the money on only a weak basis.
Thank you

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for starting your own topic. This way we can concentrate on your issue alone.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Well the only crash that it examined within the last 5 months occurred today like it should have, only problem is

On Sat 11/7/2009 10:22:29 AM your computer crashed
This was likely caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe
Bugcheck code: 0xC2 (0x7, 0xCD4, 0xE3028398, 0x88D371A0)
Error: BAD_POOL_CALLER
Dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110709-01.dmp
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect, possibly the culprit may be another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

My computer wasn't even on at 10:22 AM

I just purposely crashed it again to see if it would get another report and it didn't

I'm really curious on why it would only crash on full screen graphical apps, I'm going to defragment and run a virus scan in the meantime and await some more ideas.

Thanks for your time.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also is this a desktop or laptop?
When was the last time you opened it up and blew out the inside with a can of air?
How old is the system?

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok so first off this is a desktop and I clean it out with compressed air every few months so it stays nice.
Last night after I made my last reply I ran the anti virus and defrag checks and everything was fine, so I took this opportunity as a time to reformat and finally put my copy of WIndows 7 on it. Alas, no matter how awesome this operating system is, the problem still persists.
The VEW program didn't give me anything, just a blank text file, probably because I just reformatted.
I'm convinced that it's either my CPU heatsink or my PSU so I'm making a run to the computer store to look at new heatsinks because I'm pretty sure that it should be running at higher RPM's than ~2000 when the CPU hits 73C, this could be the result of a nasty fall the computer had about 2 months ago, although since it had worked fine until now I thought there was no permanent damage. I'm going to buy the new heatsink but if you have any other ideas please let me know.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

EDIT: Sorry missed your last question, I built this computer about 3-4 years ago.

Edited by Chumara, 08 November 2009 - 04:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the PSU got damaged it may cause this error. Heating problem is more then likely the fan on the cpu.
It could be the cpu fan is not seating correctly on the cpu.
Let me know what ahppens with a new cpu fan. Also make sure you have thermal paste applied between the cpu and the heatsink.
It should only take a drop about the size of a pea. Spread it out so it evenly on the top of the cpu then seat the fan on top.

Chumara

Chumara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
New PSU, New Heatsink
New PSU: No noticeable change, still crashes but it's a really nice PSU that was on sale, more powerful better amperage and modular cables.
New Heatsink: Still crashes, but my CPU Temps are down by 50-60 Degrees Celsius! it's amazing, even if it didn't fix the problem I'm still happy I got this new heatsink, it's the size of a brick though but whatever, just modded my case a bit.

Although these still aren't fixing the problem now the only thing I can think of is to test with another video card, I'll do that now and report my results.

Posted Image

I'm lovin' it

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree that maybe the AUX reading is the video card. If so that would answer the reason for the crashes. Video card overheating which causes the system to either freeze or in your case to crash.