Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop wont boot after upgrade to windows 7

• Please log in to reply

pinarcuba

pinarcuba

• Pip
  • 4 posts
PLEASE HELP
I have an Acer Aspire 5920. with Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Yesterday I did an UPGRADE to Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. All went good 'till the last restart, when the computer fail to reboot. It only go to the introduction screen ware you have the option to press F2 for start up option and instantly go to a black screen with the white cursor on the top left corner. I did press F2 and went to the BOOT options, it shows my HDD and the DVD Drive, I was trying to reboot from the CD but it was unsuccessful it wont even try it.
I was reading other sites and they recommend re flashing the Bios but I have no idea how to do that. Please help me!!!!

Advertisements

pinarcuba

pinarcuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks to all that look at my post.
The problem was fixed.
If you need help with this issue, let me know.

Normanings

Normanings

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
YES how do you fix it mate

if you mean the white flashing minus sign thingie in the top left corner

help!

Normanings

Normanings

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
sorry for triple posting - net went down

Edited by Normanings, 11 November 2009 - 05:53 AM.

Normanings

Normanings

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry for triple posting - net went down

Edited by Normanings, 11 November 2009 - 05:53 AM.

pinarcuba

pinarcuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
K NORMANING this may be painful but this is what I ended up doing.

After many unsuccessful search for answers in the net. I decide to one more time press the F2 at the Bios start and under the "advanced" tab I found a choice with something like "press F12 for Boot Options" and in my, it was set as "Disabled" so I changed to "enable" then saved the changes and exit. This finally let me select my DVD for Boot.
After Booting from the installation disk I try the "Repair windows" option, and it found a start up problem, it attempted to fix it but it was unsuccessful. Then I try the clean installation, with the same result. At the end (here come the painful part) I had no more choice but reformat the entire drive and just after that it finally work. If you need more detail please let me know.

PS. I do recommend reformatting the drive ONLY as a last resource.

Edited by pinarcuba, 11 November 2009 - 05:08 PM.

Normanings

Normanings

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi, please call me norman.

i downloaded a fresh copy of 7 ultimate from MSDN, and this time it worked (my last copy was OEM, so didn't ask for a serial number), i used my serial number in the MSDN one and it worked.

can you provide me with more detail on how you fixed it, as i dont want to format my hdd, but i would like my OEM copy back on my machine

pinarcuba

pinarcuba

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi Norman
Like I said before. I did try to save my OEM. but it was no possible in my situation. BTW do u' have the same Laptop?

Normanings

Normanings

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
By OEM, i mean i have the CD, and it installs the OEM version

i have a Dell Inspiron 15