Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email Fraud - Police report filed

• Please log in to reply

c1blondebynature

c1blondebynature

• Pip
  • 5 posts
A school teacher (involved with my former husband) sent herself a fake email to her school computer using my personal address as the sender. She said I wrote the email and it was indecent. She showed it to my former husband and then she filed a Police report against me! I have her IP address and location because my former husband checked his own email while he was on her school computer. I use readnotify.com just to make sure he gets my messages. So, when he read his email, it showed up as e0.cache02.shelby.tn.ena.net (208.183.225.11) which is the TN Dept. of Education. My question is how can I pull up this email from her computer? I need to know what it said so I can at least defend myself. Thanks anyone out there!

Advertisements

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
how did she get access to your email account to beable to send a email under your name?

what is the name of the mail server? i.e [email protected]

c1blondebynature

c1blondebynature

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I assume that this woman got my email address by using a software program that retrieves passwords from email accounts. She already knew my former husband's email address, so I guess she got his password and read all his email (including mine) OR she may have already known his password. He did not have a computer and always used her home computer to send or receive email. I don't know her email address on her personal computer but do know she uses Charter High Speed. Her school email address is [email protected]. Her particular school does not reveal email addresses for their own teachers, but I checked out some other grade school websites and saw that every teacher uses their last name and first initial. Checked the validity of that email address and it came back as a good address. I know you are way smarter than I am and would appreciate any insight - THANKS!!!!!

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
This is where I would start:

You know she used your email address/email account to send the email. You know your husbands email address. So..........I would contact your email provider and ask to speak with the security department (you might have to send them a email) , explain to them your problem, you might even have to show them probable cause for them to speak any further with you, that is why you have a copy of the police report.

See if by chance they have access to a record of when and where that particular email was/when sent from.

Then on your husbands email provider, do the same thing. This whole idea may not work, but its worth a shot.

If she would have sent a virus though email, lawenforcement officials would be all over her and they would definently find out all the details, so no one cant tell me this is impossible, its just a matter of, will they cooperate with you in getting you all the details.

Also, call the ISP that provided access to the email that day and explain to them the situation, they maybe able to point you in a direction better than me.

I hope that helps some.

Also, you might want to change your password to something really difficult, if you have not already.

c1blondebynature

c1blondebynature

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think the way she forged my email address was by just typing it in the REPLY TO: section. From what I understand, most people just put their own name, but you could just as easily type in an email address.
As I said before, I'm not nearly as smart as you are.....and I don't understand why my ISP should be contacted? Do you mean because she used yahoo.com to forge an email ? Thanks again!

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
"REPLY TO" is the person you are responding back to.
The email itself will show who sent it.

And the part where you say most people just enter whatever name they decide, that would go in your account profile. You can edit that, but when you send a email, you cant change the name to whatever email
name you like, unless you change the name profile in the account first.

If made up a entire fake account under Yahoo that could be a great therory.

You got a mess on your hands.

Good Luck!

Guest_jake6535_*

Guest_jake6535_*

how did she get access to your email account to beable to send a email under your name?

what is the name of the mail server?  i.e  [email protected]

View Post

Course, you know if TB how easy it is to send from any adress...

c1blondebynature

c1blondebynature

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've done exactly as you said, John Doe. Email to Yahoo Security, etc. The only problem is that I have 4 different Yahoo addresses that I have used at one time or another to email my former husband. If they won't cooperate, do you know someone who would help me for a fee? Thanks once again!

c1blondebynature

c1blondebynature

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Jake, what did you mean when you said....You know if TB how easy it is to send from any address? Just strugglin' to figure this out!