Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start up, Corrupt Infcache.1 file

• Please log in to reply

Laura Barbera

Laura Barbera

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I own a Lenovo T61 Thinkpad (T series) and the other day out of no where I got the dreaded blue screen. I restarted my computer and during Windows startup it switched to the blue screen - I can't start windows. I'm getting an error message that says "The file or directory X:\minint\inf\INFCACHE.1 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

- The X drive is the drive that windows refers to when Windows is not running - it represents the C drive.

My main problem is that I have a laptop given to me from my college, so a lot of things are disabled - such as booting from a device other than the harddrive, or accessing any bios settings. System restore is also disabled.

So.. my question is, how can I run the Chkdsk utility without starting windows? And if I can't.. how can i access and download this INFCACHE.1 file?

Edited by Laura Barbera, 08 November 2009 - 09:26 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi Laura Barbera and welcome to Geeks to Go.

Are you able to start in safe mode?
While the computer is starting up start tapping the F8 key. If you get to a screen that has a few options like safe mode, safe mode with networking, last known good configuration, then 1st try "last known good configuration".

If that does not work, then try safe mode.
If you get to safe mode, then.....
Go to start...
Go to run...
Type in CMD and hit ok.

You will get a command prompt. In the window type in chkdsk /r and hit enter.(note the space between k and /)
If it asks to run on next reboot you need to allow it.

123runner

Laura Barbera

Laura Barbera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there, 123runner :)

Unfortunately, my computer won't start up in any mode - I've tried every single one. When I select what mode for it to start up in, it goes to the windows startup screen and then halfway through loading, the blue screen pops up (no matter what mode).

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have a XP disk or a recovery disk?

Laura Barbera

Laura Barbera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an XP disk, but because I'm using a University laptop, I'm not the administrator and my bios is disabled... original settings are to boot from hardrive only, and I can't allow it to boot from disk through the bios.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is going to be a problem then.
I suggest you take it to the school and have the IT dept take a look at it.
Without being able to boot to the cdrom a lot of the suggestions we can give will not work.