Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TrojanDownloader:Win32/Renos.DZ and Windows: False alarm?

• Please log in to reply

borkduck

borkduck

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Yesterday my laptop stopped recognizing its LAN card, and would not find my wireless network. After some futzing about, it reacquired the network and all seemed well. But during my explorations I came across this in the Win Control Panel/Problem reports and solutions, under 'Information about other problems':

Virus alert: Remove TrojanDownloader:Win32/Renos.DZ
Windows has detected TrojanDownloader:Win32/Renos.DZ, a known computer virus, on your computer.

The file name of the computer virus is ~tmpb.exe.

To prevent this problem from occurring again, install and run an up-to-date antivirus program on your computer.

If your antivirus software doesn't detect and remove TrojanDownloader:Win32/Renos.DZ, then go to the antivirus software manufacturer's website and search for information about an update for this virus.

----------------
I immediately ran my AV scan (McAfee Total Protection 2009) which found nothing.

I then ran the WindowsLive fullscan for Vista/Win7 online: nothing found.

I then ran MRT on my laptop: also found nothing.

The 'Information about other problems' pane in the Problem Report and Solutions window contains a number of other entries which seem to refer to problems that do not exist any longer, e.g. software updates for Java and Adobe, Windows Update alerts etc. My question is, could win's Problem reports and solutions list be including an alert for win32/renos.dz even though it no longer exists on my computer?

I'd like to find out if possible before I dive into the Malware/Spyware cleaning procedure. I've always been a big adherent of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' school.

Thanks for your help,

borkduck

Advertisements