Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP BSOD and help with REPAIR

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Unfortunately, I am back with a new problem. This time though it's not a virus. My wife's computer crashed to BSOD and will not start normally or in safe mode. For what it's worth my STOP code is 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A7B6EF0, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

I am trying to do a repair per the instructions in "How-to repair windows XP" sticky but have a problem.

It is a Dell 8400 and when I boot the windows xp CD I choose the "To setup windows..." option followed by agreeing to the terms and conditions, but then my system jut goes to a screen that shows various partitions and asks which I would like to chose. I chose my C: drive, then it just says I needed to reformat before doing anything else. Obviously I don't want to do that yet(I'm trying to save my wife's data).

Question 1:
Should I follow the steps in this link first? -- http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp?

Question 2:
Does Dell use a different method?

Question 3:
If the answer to Questions above are "no" what other options do I have?

Edited by tisoy505, 08 November 2009 - 10:01 AM.

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Did you get the following screen?

Question 1: Should I follow the steps in this link first? Those aren't the proper steps for a repair

Question 2: Does Dell use a different method? No

Question 3: If the answer to Questions above are "no" what other options do I have? We have quite a few tricks up our sleeves, so bear with us.

Do not reformat. We have ways to save her data if it gets to that, but if you reformat, it will all be lost.

The error can be a corrupt file system or a corrupt hard drive.
Lets check the drive 1st before a repair.

It sounds like you have a XP cd.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok, First thank you so much for the support. You guys to a killer job.

As to whether I saw that particular screen, no it never comes up.

I followed your instructions and have the following message

CHKDSK found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.
151324264 Kilobytes total disk space
127985780 kilobytes are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
37831066 total allocation units on disk.
31996445 allocation units available on disk.

So do I reboot now?

Also, the computer didn't recognize the CD the first several times I tried it. So I had to hard reboot it several times until it found and recognized the CD. Also my wife said the computer will sometimes not recognize her discs prior to the BSOD. Could this be a hardware problem? I have had the DVD/CD players die twice in the computer over the 5 years we have owned it. I suspect, with limited computer experience, there is some sort of issue here.

• 34,114 posts
Rerun chkdsk to make sure it fixed everything.