Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random restarts with a flash of blue screen, please help!

• Please log in to reply

legendracer

legendracer

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi there

as my other topic says I tried to install some extra ram in my pc last weekend. Not only did it not work but i think its done some more lasting damage. My pc just randomly restarts maybe once or twice a day with just a flash of the blue screen of death. The system crash message when resarted says about product 256_1 error. Can someone tell me the tips to check if my ram has gone or maybe if this is an overheating problem?

Thanks a lot

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download BlueScreenView
No installation required.
Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions and program

After completing the above then proceed to the instructions below.

If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)
2. Unzip downloaded memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find memtest86+-2.11.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-2.11.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

legendracer

legendracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi There

I ran a RAM analyzer as i thought this is where my problem was. Sure enough it found many problems so I took out my old RAM, installed the new RAM i had planned to add to the system and touch wood it seems to have worked so far. Little problems the pc had etc have gone so maybe the RAM was going out from a while.

Thanks very much for your post, if this topic can be kept open for the minute incase the problem does continue that'd be great.

Thanks again
Legendracer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem as we don't close topics in this forum in case the problem does resurface. thanks for the update and I am glad everything has worked out for you.