Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Needs Help Undoing Changes to Registry

• Please log in to reply

teatime

teatime

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, I have been using this program for some time in hopes of lowering ping for this game I play, but I think it ends up ruining the animation rate for it.

It sets TcpAckFrequency to 1 and turns off Nagle's algorithm on a selected interface (internet connection). But the instructions said to leave all choices for the interface blank, so I have no idea what the program could have made changes in.

What I really want to do is to restore my windows registry to before I used the program. Does this mean I delete the TpcAckFrequency and turn Nagle's Algorithm back on?

I tried to go and find TcpAckFrequency in the registry, but I couldn't, and the search tool couldn't find it in the computer. Does that mean it wasn't added?

And is Nagle's Algorithm turned on or off by default? It seems like it should be turned on by default, or else the program wouldn't turn it off. The microsoft support page says that the key to turn it off is found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSMQ\Parameters\TcpNoDelay, a DWORD file set to 1. I have that in my registry. Was this made by the program I used? If I want to turn the algorithm back on, do I just delete it?

I downloaded ERUNT and backed up the registry, but I didn't edit the registry at all because I'm afraid of causing irreparable damage to it. O_O

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Edited by teatime, 08 November 2009 - 11:40 PM.

Advertisements

teatime

teatime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi, sorry to bump my post, but I wasn't sure if I am allowed to post this in the waiting room. Please, does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
MSMQ subkey doesn't exist by default, so it was most likely created by your program.
Nagle's Algorithm is turned on by default and MSMQ subkey with "TCP no delay" value is created to turn it off.
MSMQ subkey can be safely deleted.

There is a better way to do it, as described here: http://lifeandcode.n...g/tcp-no-delay/

teatime

teatime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Cool, thank you very much for your time! :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You're very welcome :)