Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to install xp after windows 7

• Please log in to reply

jaybee55

jaybee55

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I upgraded Windows Vista to Windows 7. I then tried to install Windows XP Pro sp2 OEM full onto a newly created and formatted 1GB partition on the same drive. My computer is a HP M9300t, which has a 1P1BL-LB motherboard (with 6 SATA connections).

I read in your blogs that sp2 would not need any SATA drivers to be loaded using the F6 function during installation, so I tried. But once the installation got to the "Setup is starting windows" part, I got the message: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer."

I then changed my settings for the SATA from RAID to IDE, as I had also seen in some blogs. This allowed the startup to proceed, but my partition was too small. I got a message that I needed 1.2GB. So I tried to restart. Windows 7 would not start up until I switched the SATA back from IDE to SATA, even after I tried to do a "repair" from my original Windows 7 DVD. I tried to find the drivers file required for the SATA interface for my mobo (ASUS 1P1BL-LB). I cannot find this.

So, I need some help.
Can you point to a download site for the SATA drivers that I need? (or do I do something different and not need them?)

If I go back to the IDE setting for my SATA (and successfully install XP Pro), will I need to change the SATA setting on each startup to match the OS (IDE for XP and RAID for W 7)? It seems that this makes dual boot unworkable.

How to proceed?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
One gig partition is not large enough for XP to install.
Minimum free partition space should be 15 gigs to ensure a good install.

jaybee55

jaybee55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK.
I've increased the size to 15 GB.

I still need the SATA driver files for my mobo or an alternate solution???

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That computer was not built for XP so it will be difficult to find what you need.

XP never had and never will have support for SATA drivers. Not even SP2.
Vista has the drivers in its OS.
If you went to HP's site HERE you see only for Vista 32 or Vista 64.

THIS Link may help

And if you do not have a floppy you will have to slipstream it XP and Nlite.

jaybee55

jaybee55

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response.

I have a floppy I could attach. There is a connector for it on the mobo.

But, as you say, I cannot find any SATA driver. Let this be a lesson to myself. HP is a crap company to buy from. They remove your options from you. I gather that ASUS provides the mobo to HP based upon the HP specs and there is no reason to provide the drivers required for XP operation (in HP planning). I hear that HP gives no support once you alter important things like the operating system.

I have installed XP now. I guess I'll have to live with the inconvenience of switching my config to IDE each time I want to start up XP; then switch back to operate on Windows 7.

Is there any other solution?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
In the link "This may help" near the bottom are more links to the intel matric storage manager files you need.

1 of those links sends you HERE where you will get instructions in how to get around the SATA and F6 key use.

From HERE, go down to April 23, 2008 and a couple below that.

Sometimes getting the right drivers is tricky. You have to try a couple, but the link was for your board.