Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use browser, even though connected to network

• Please log in to reply

dollyd4

dollyd4

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi guys,

I am so hopeing someone can help me, I have been trying to solve this problem all day.

My son had to reset his computer (acer travelmate 6410) windows xp. Since resetting his comp, he has been unable to get an internet browser to work. We have tried IE and Firefox. His connection to my home network (windows vista) says he is connected. All his settings seem to be correct.

The wep key is correct, ip, dns all seem to be correct, I have put them in manually after getting them from our service provider as it was not connecting to the network when the get ip automatically was ticked.

I'm not sure if I have included enough info, if not please just ask away, but I am no expert when it comes to networking issues.

Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks Cass

Advertisements

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Try connecting it to a hard line instead of wireless to see if it will work. Then we can go from there.

G

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi ya,

In the process of trying that now. Hopefully will know soon

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi Germando,

Just tried using the hard wire and all seems well, he can use both IE and Firefox. So does this mean I am missing a certain setting, or is it something worse?

Greatful for any and all help

Cass

Germando

Germando

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Quick answer it means that you have a setting wrong. I am assuming that your wireless rounter has dns enabled and you mentioned encryption. I would make sure that the router is setup to assign ip's to all systems on the network. I would also check to make sure that you do not have a hard entered ip on the laptop. Then pay extreme attention and make sure the wep key is exactly correct.
Good news is nothing is broken...Bad news is something is setup wrong.

Thanks

G

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi again,

Forgive me for my ignorance, I am such a novice. How do I check that my router is set up for ip on all comps on network? Plus what do you mean by hard ip on laptop?

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I think I found the correct thing. My DHCP is active on my router. I have manually input ip sub net dns etc, into my son's settings, if that is any help to you.

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
If I understand you correctly when you say make sure there is no hard ip entered, I take it you mean to let the comp find the ip and dns automatically. If so, I did do this (let it find auto) and I am being told I have limited or no connectivity.

When I look into the network connection details, this is what I am being told:

Physical address: 00-18-DE-6B-B6-D6
IP address: 169.254.34.80
Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
Default gateway: Empty
DNS server: Empty
WINS server: Empty

Forgive me if this info is of no use to you.

When I put in the ip adress, sub, default etc, myself. I can connect to network, but as said before, can not browse the internet.

Cass

dollyd4

dollyd4

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that my problem has been sorted. It was a simple case of my router had generated a new wep key without me knowing. Once the new wep key was put into my sons comp, all came good and now he is on the net.

Thanks for all your help.

Cass