Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Doubts

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi to all,
Been a fair while since my last post :) Glad to be back!

At approx. this time last year i built the system found in my sig. All things are going well except i am concerned about the reliability of my PSU. I purchased A cooler master 700W PSU which i thought was a decent PSU to power the components in my system ( i like to have a little overhead so not to overload the PSU). The concern i have is that when i start anything intensive i.e gaming or 3D Solid Modeling the PSU begins to make a high pitched whine. Its quite loud and rather annoying even when watching a DVD.

I understand that at times electronic components do this but should i be concerned? At the end of the day i spent approx $3,000 Australian dollars on this machine when the i7 was just released and i am more than happy to spend more on replacing the PSU if it means that the computer will be protected. I am also running a power filtered surge board.

Anyone have any opinions on Cooler master Power Supplies?
Anyone have a favoured brand? Why?

Also in the near future i will be upgrading my graphics card to something with DX 11 so im thinking i might as well purchase somehting with a bit of grunt to be able to handle SLI if thats where i want to go. Im thinkning somehwere between 850 - 1000W?

Thankyou for your opinions.
Troppo!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I've never been a fan of Cooler Master power supplies, I've heard and seen too many issues with them. I like Cooler Master cases and case fans, but that's all.

If you're looking for one of the best, Corsair are definitely up there - some of my favourites are Corsairs. Every machine I have built with a Corsair PSU (quite a few) are always dead silent. The HX-520 and 620 are excellent modular PSUs, although for a bit more there is a modular 850W which should be plenty for your SLI needs.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi Troy,
Yeah it does seem that way. I was set to buy a thermaltake PSU of pretty similar specs and the guy at the local store warned me off them. But couldnt give me a decent reason. Any thoughts on those either?

The corsair PSU's do look quite nice really good single rail amperage support. Does it matter that its a single rail? or what is the difference between that and a duel rail PSU?

Thanks for the reply!
The 850W looks like the way to go...or the 950 is soon to be released?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Not sure about a 950W, but if you want to go up again, they have a 1000W which is a killer.

The cheap Thermaltakes are pretty much generics, but the high-end ones are some of the best around, they are very good as well. If I remember rightly there are some with a lifetime warranty, it'd be worth checking that out.

A single +12V rail is easier for everything to get what it needs instead of having the power split between rails. Plenty of reading out there on this, Google is your fried, feel free to do some research on it.

I personally have an Antec TP3-650 which has 3 +12V rails and 650W, I've had it for about 2.5 years and it's been rock-solid and reliable for me. So the Antecs are good as well.

Cheers

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
troppo,

If you have the 700watt Silent Pro, that is the exact same PSU I have powering my i7 rig. I have had no issues with it, but what Troy said is worth listening too. I was dead set on Corsair (still am really) but I found a combo deal with that PSU and my Cosmos 1000 case by Coolermaster that I just couldn't pass up. Saved like $80 off regular price of all the popular online stores like Newegg.

And to answer your question, if it is making a high pitch whining noise like you say, it may be worth returning the PSU to the manufacturer because the PSU is supposed to be silent, mine is. I would think it is still under warranty if you built this last year. And yes, it is possible (but not guaranteed) that a faulty power supply could cause damage to other components in your system. So I would take care of this as soon as you can.

Edited by Ferrari, 09 November 2009 - 11:19 PM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Hi Ferrari!

I see we share the same passion...oh i hope santa brings me a F430 Scuderia for Christmas!! :)

I dont believe my PSU is from the silent range im pretty sure its called the "M700 Real Power". The noise is so irritating its such a loud squeal its not really pleasent.

Troy, I have looked at the Corsair HX 1000W PSU and it looks brilliant :) Reviews have really given it a great rating. But i did look on google for associated problems and they say that the 140mm fan fails. Thats not good because my case has a bottom mounted PSU and cant see the fan to keep an eye on it. :)

Does anyone know if corsairs PSU's have a fan RPM sensor on them...so that i can set an alarm if it does fail?

Anyone else recommend a good PSU brand?

Also i just thought this was a bit weird. Currently on idle my +12V rail is sitting on 12.71V osnt that a bit high? I though an acceptable range was between say 11.95 and 12.07. The Corsair 1000W PSU was 12.07 at full load on one of the reviews.

Thank you all for your input,
Troppo

Edited by troppo, 12 November 2009 - 02:18 AM.

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
Any opinions on the corsair HX1000W Vs the Enermax Revolution 85+, 1250W PSU's?

Im thinkning maybe the corsair due to its 5 year warranty. Hopefully i 1000W PSU will be substantial for the next 5 years :)

Thankyou for your opinions! :)
Troppo