Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

autochk problem causing contant reboot loop

• Please log in to reply

Boboli3

Boboli3

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have a computer which apparently had a lot of viruses on it, so I ran the Antimalware Malwarebytes program on it. It found approx 65 viruses so I went ahead and deleted them all. Once deleted, I was trying to install windows update on it with service pack 3, before it was finished updating, it threw me an error that there wasnt enough room in the c: drive and the computer shut down on its own. Since then, the computer just keeps trying to reboot and gives the autochk error, then goes to the windows XP screen, then loops back again and does the same thing over and over again. I have tried going through safe mode as well as all the other options on the safe mode page, i just get the same thing over and over again. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Autochk or chkdsk?
Have you tried to tap F8 and go to the boot menu where you chose Safe Mode
If that doesn't work then repeat and try Last Known Good Configuration

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I have already tried both of those options but it just continues the reboot process.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK and is it Autochk or Chkdsk?

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Autochk and the error says it will skip autochk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a name brand system or custom built?
Do you have a Genuine Microsoft XP disk?

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Its an hp pavilion computer. About 6 yrs old. I have both the operating system cd and the application and driver recovery dvd.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK but no Microsoft XP cd?

Let's try a few steps and see if we can figure something out.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
HOw do i find out who makes my hard drive? It's a HP computer. Once i figure out who makes the hard drive, what do i do with the diagnostic programs? Sorry, not great with computers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You would have to open the system up and look at the hard drive to see who makes it.
If you are not comfortable doing this then download the SeaTools diagnostics as it seems to work with the majority of the drives.

Advertisements

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I can't dload anything bc I can't even get past the constant reboot. Once I open it up and find the hard drive, then what? How do I run diagnostics if I can't even get past the reboot loop?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download on the system you are typing from now.
Follow the instructions and burn the ISO file to a cd.
The program will run because it does not depend on windows to run. It runs from the cd.
you will have to change the boot sequence in the bios in order to boot from the cdrom.

antone

antone

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Try tapping the F10 key when you boot the computer. It should take you to a restore program. Do a Nondestructive restore.

Boboli3

Boboli3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
The f10 option doesnt work because it brings me to the bios page and it doesnt have an option to restore.

Shaffer, I just need to clarify, you want me to download the seatools diagnostic right? Save it on my computer and burn it to a cd? Is this the right link?
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes
Follow the instructions from my post #8
That should make the cd bootable depending if you download the iso file or not.