Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - 32 Bit - Memory recognized

• Please log in to reply

brpinto

brpinto

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi, is there an official statement on how much memory Windows 7 32bit will recognize? I currently have 4GB (800Mhz DDR II). And since I'm mulling going to 7 (currently running XP SP3 on a Q6600 Quad Core with 512MB Video), i was planning on upping my RAM to 8GB (also my Vide Card to 1GB) before i do this?

I know Windows 7 64bit will support 8GB, but I'm a little nervous on going from 32 to 64 given all the apps i currently have, and don't want do make a rash decision to regret it.

Thanks

Bryan

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
32 bit OS will only see and utilize 3.5 gigs of memory
64 bit OS will see much more then that.
You can't upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS. In order to do this you have to format your system and load the 64 bit OS fresh.
You can go HERE and read Microsoft's statement and suggestion on going from 32 to 64 bit OS's.
I hope this helps.

brpinto

brpinto

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was going to do a fresh install of Win7. Is the XP compatibility mode for Win 7 - 64bit good? Do most apps, i.e Pinnacle Studio 11, DVD Shrink, DVD Dcrypter, Roxio MEdia Creator 10, Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.0, DVD Fab6 run well? Any experience running any of the programs? Thanks

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Most apps IMO run fairly well under 64bit Win7. Which XP compatibility mode are you talking about? The normal er well conventional to vista right click properties, and compatibility? or you talking about the XP VM.

Most of those Apps you listed should work with out issue on win7 64. The reason why I ask about the compatibility mode, is that if it is the later you won't be running the first half of your list since it requires more power than the VM will allow or that your machine may have.

I've been running Win7 Pro 64bit. All my apps loaded and nothing crashes at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Read this HERE straight form Microsoft.
There are some requirements in order to run XP compatibility mode in Windows 7.
Rin the suggested tool to find out if your CPU can do the XP mode.