Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP will not boot...infected with msa.exe

• Please log in to reply

gamblersgirl

gamblersgirl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello Staff,
My desktop computer was running sluggish,so I looked in task manager and found that several processes were taking lots of memory.They include: msa.exe, b.exe,B.exe and msb.exe.There were several scvhost taking cpu and memory.

I immediately tried to run my virus scan and spyware removal,neither would open. I borrowed a laptop and searched online for a solution.I found that WinXP had a new safety feature called DEP (Data execution Prevention)that could be preventing my utilities from working. They advised that I temporarily disable the DEP,which I did in DOS (/noexecute=AlwaysOff).

When I went to reboot, I had several errors.I think they were rundll errors. When the computer tried to restart,it went to black screen with safe mode,last known good configuration,etc. None of which will work. I burned 2 different boot/rescue cds from the internet. Each of these give a boot failure error message (isoLinux: Disk error 80, AX=424D, drive 9F Boot failed: press a key to retry. ...)

So now I have no idea what to do. My hope is that I can save my pictures and important documents. Windows XP came installed on the computer when I bought it new several years ago, so I have no cds for recovery and it does not have a floppy drive.

Thanks in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

gamblersgirl

gamblersgirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
so so sorry, Broni, for "wasting" your time. IF, I say IF you read my post you would have seen that I CANNOT get into my windows to DOWNLOAD anything. So you sending me to the guide did not help. AND , BTW, I searched for ways to remove them before I posted here. I REPEAT>>>>> WIN XP WIll NOT BOOT.

I'm sure there are other places willing to help me,if not , oh well, another computer in the garbage dump. Thanks for your time.