Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build won't stay on

• Please log in to reply

Herb L

Herb L

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just plugged it all in. Turned it on. The beeping persists for a few moments, beeping stops, fans all seem to be spinning, DVD accepts disk, monitor shows data, no error messages on cooler screen, then the whole thing appears to go to sleep. I can push the front panel ATX button (?) to make it start beeping again but it goes to sleep shortly after. I think, based on very little evidence and a lot of ignorance, that the cooler is making it go to sleep. I have checked and re-checked all the attachments, wires, connections -- they all seem to be OK. I'm lost with a hunk of sleeping electronics. Any ideas, things for me to do?

New build configuration:

Case: ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX/SB750
CPU: AMD PH II X4 955 3.2G AM3
Memory: GSKILL F3-10666CL7D-4G (2Gx2)
Hard Drive: WD 32M WD10EADS 1T
Power Ssupply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Cooler: COOLIT DOMINO A.L.C
DVD: LG Black 8X BD-ROM CH08LS10
(borrowed CRT and mouse from desktop)

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi Herb L,

What does the beeping timing sound like? i.e. 1 long beep and 2 short beeps, or 1 short beep followed by XXXXXX, etc. etc. This tutorial on new builds might help.

http://www.geekstogo...ems-t28727.html

Also, can you link me to your motherboard please? That's all I need for now. :) Hopefully we can get this figured out for you.

Herb L

Herb L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your reply. The beeps are short, about ten of them. I did review the tutorial but am hesitant to remove the motherboard just yet. Before it went to sleep, it seemed to be reading the DVD drive that I left the OS disk in.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131366

(I think there is a way of getting the link pasted in but I have not figured it out yet)

My suspicion is that I have hooked the fans up incorrectly. I attached the cooler to CPU_FAN as the cooler instructions seemed to indicate. All the other fans are connected to CHA_FAN2, leaving CHA_FAN1 and PWR_FAN with no attachments. Could there be a signal denoting there are missing fans and switching to sleep mode? I could move some of the fans to one of the empty spots but I cannot fill all the spots.
Thanks again.
Herb

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Herb L,

I wasn't as specific as I should have been about the BIOS Beep Codes. Can you count the exact number of times it beeps for me? Also, boot into your BIOS, what BIOS do you use... AMI or Phoenix Awards, etc? It will say as a header in your BIOS.

Consult your motherboard manual if you don't know how to enter the BIOS. Usually this is done by repeatedly pressing the delete key after you press the power button. You'll know it when you get there. :) Just check your manual, k?

Furthermore, I believe you have the fans and cooler connected correctly and you do not need all of them to be used or anything like that. The beeps are codes from your motherboard, we just have to find out what its telling us, see? Your manual may even say what the codes are, so take a look.

Herb L

Herb L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for your help.

Beeps: They are very fast and difficult to count -- I say 10 to 20, my wife says that’s too low, it’s more 20 to 30. They sound and then stop.

BIOS: After the sounds stop the machine starts, goes into BIOS (or at least I think so, after repeatedly hitting DELETE) . But the stuff goes so fast on the screen and then scrolls off I cannot read it. Finally the whole thing goes to sleep before doing any real work. The whole process takes lees than one minute.

Codes in manual: After pressing the ATX power button, “(T)he system then runs the power-on self test or POST. While the tests are running, the BIOS beeps.” The manual has; one short, one continuous followed by two short, one continuous followed by three short, and one continuous followed by four short. Could the beeps are occurring while the internal tests are running?

I hope this information helps. Seems to me everything is working right but it still goes to sleep. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Herb

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Herb L...

Check your RAM. Make sure it's inserted in the sockets correctly and that all modules are firmly "locked" into place. If the machine still won't start, remove one module and try booting with just one stick installed.

wannabe1

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Herb L,

It sure does seem to be a RAM problem. Yes, make sure your RAM is properly inserted, and make sure you are using the correct slots! Check your motherboards manual for which two slots are your primary.

Try just using one stick of RAM in the appropriate single channel slot. If the problem persists try the other stick.

Herb L

Herb L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Slots: The manual says, “It is recommended to install the memory modules from the orange slots … “ Which I did. They might not have been seated correctly but I re-did that several times with both and with just one. The results have been the same. Work for under a minute and then sleeps. I’ll continue to try different combinations of slots tomorrow.
Thanks for your help
Herb

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well, it could still be the RAM, but it is highly unlikely that both sticks are bad. I'm going to have you break it down to the simplest form... and we'll build from there. This is what I do to every computer that is having problems like this. It's the best way.

Take everything out of the case. Do this on cardboard or any static elctricity safe surface. DO NOT do this on carpet!
Only connect the bare essentials... which are...
Motherboard
CPU
CPU Cooler and Fan
1 Stick of RAM (on your motherboard, this is the orange slot closest to the CPU- DIMM A1)
Power Supply
Keyboard
Monitor
(use on-board video if you have it) if not connect video card
Connect the power switch from the case (or use an old switch from another case if you have it) You may need the case sitting close if you use the one from your current case.

DO NOT connect the hard drive, fans, lights, CD/DVD players, or anything else that I have not mentioned.

Press the power button. Immediately start tapping the DELETE key repeatedly. Do this until you are in the BIOS which will be a predominately blue screen.

Simple question: Does the computer do the same thing once in the BIOS? It should be able to stay on forever.

Let me know. :)

Herb L

Herb L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I could not solve the problem, so I went outside for professional help - paid for it. It seems I stupidly hooked up the cpu incorrectly. I first installed, because I did not read all the instructions thru before I started, the cooler provided by the cpu manufacturer and had to take it out and install the liquid cooler. There were metal stand-off the I used and should not have. Therefore, the cooling mechanism was not touching the cpu, but stood away from it by fractions of an inch. The pro took out the stand-offs, reinstalled the cpu and cooling mechanism, cleaned up the messy wiring I did and it worked fine. I'm grateful for the help from the forum (Ferrari, in particular) and also happy I did not screw up the whole thing and have to replace expensive stuff. I would build another one. Thanks.