Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Use a new laptop with a cracked screen on a old laptop

• Please log in to reply

lawdawgs

lawdawgs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP pavilion laptop running windows vista with a cracked screen but everything else works fine. I also have an old sony vaio laptop running windows xp. Is it possible to gut and remove everything from the old sony vaio and transfer the operating system, hard drive, memory, etc from the new HP with the cracked screen to the sony vaio? I wasn't sure if the old sony vaio laptop could be used as a shell to run my HP on it.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope, different brand will require different drivers.
Is the HP still under warranty?
If so then utilize it and have the screen replaced. If not then you can contact HP and maybe purchase a replacement screen. :)
Be ready for sticker shock.
The motherboard will probably not exchange and connect the same.
I believe once you see the cost of the replacement screen you may just find it is cheaper to purchase a new laptop.
You can however save the data from the HP by purchasing a external 2.5 inch enclosure and then copying the data to the new system.
You also could save some money if you are comfortable enough to replace the screen yourself. This is not something I suggest as the parts for a laptop are extremely smaller and harder to work with.

lawdawgs

lawdawgs

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately the warranty period is over and when I looked into replacing the screen the prices were ridiculous so I'll probably just use an external monitor with it. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is the only other choice until you can afford the replacement screen or laptop.
Let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with or any further questions.
Sorry for not being able to help you better then this.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Not so quick! I know of a place to get laptop screens at very reasonable prices. Not to mention other laptop parts. Try out Laptop Angels on Ebay. Here is a link to all HP LCD screens they have in stock right now. From what I noticed the average price was around $70 or so. Apparently they have very quick shipping too.

http://stores.ebay.c...634Q2ec0Q2em322

Keep that in mind Ron, this place is awesome. Actually based out of my home town, just coincidence... found them on ebay not too long ago. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Interesting Ferrari :) :) :)