Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM upgrade

• Please log in to reply

dr dastdardly

dr dastdardly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've recently upgraded my desktop computer from 2Gb (4 x 512) to 8Gb (4 x 2Gb). On rebooting and checking the system with Task manager, it tells me I only have 3Gb of memory, but using the Crucial scanner, it tells me there is 8Gb installed. What's going on?! which one do I believe?! The computer is running Windows XP, it's a Dell with an Intel Core Duo E6400 (2.13GHz) processor.

Any suggestions welcome!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to GTG:

WinXP 32 bit version can/will only recognize about 3.25GB of ram. If you want to be able to use all of it, you will need to upgrade to the 64bit version.

Murray

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
As xp is no longer supported by microsoft, you might consider installing windows 7 64bit but, check with dell or microsoft to make sure your hardware is suitable.

Regards.
Iammykyl.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi.
As xp is no longer supported by microsoft, you might consider installing windows 7 64bit but, check with dell or microsoft to make sure your hardware is suitable.

XP is supported by Microsoft until 2014 at the earliest.
There will be no more service packs for it but there will be high-priority updates.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the correction Neil. I thought support was only for security updates.

iammykyl