Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing multiple copies of XP

• Please log in to reply

Carrie1

Carrie1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Long story short - my pc was displaying "corrupt" messages after moving to new home - somehow the ethernet card was damaged and i had to remove wireless card and reinstall my old hard-wired card. But in the "troubleshooting" stage I had reinstalled my XP 3 times trying to fix prob. Now can't remove.

LOOKING FOR WANNABE1 - I followed instructions posted previously for similar prob - but person had Win2000 and installed Win XP. I was able to remove 3 versions from Boot.ini file - but I obviously do not have Winnt folder - and only 1 Windows folder. When i boot up - i no longer see the screen with the 4 xp's showing - but I haven't really recouped speed/space because i still have the other op folders "somewhere"...can you help me trouble shoot/identify folders so I can complete process?

Carrie

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Carrie1...

It sounds like XP may have installed over itself. What folders do you see in the root directory (Local Disk (C:))?

wannabe1

Carrie1

Carrie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
1d3931fd01db9d3244de5dc50255
9fcb5704be50db236ec7a002cf0a4cc6
33fd1fd595d25f1bb1791d42
brother
cbb1e12941f9976c8d1ad028
doc & settings
linksys driver
mwaspi
pro files
users
vorton
WINDOWS

for your info also: within Doc/Settings there are All users, all users.windows, all users.windows2, and all users windows3 - plus 2 carrie.carrie folders (appended w/ diff #'s)

ps - thanks for writing so quickly and finding me!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have a nose for these multiple operating system topics. :)

Windows has apparently just replaced system files and created some new accounts for you in the system data areas. Take a look in the "all users.windows2, and all users windows3" folders. Are either of them showing duplicates of what you see in the "all users.windows" folder?

Do you know which "all users" account you are currently using?

Carrie1

Carrie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The "all users.WINDOWS" has my current info - the others were either empty folders or if i found something (old pics/scans/docs) I moved it to my slave drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You should be able to delete any of those folders that do not relate to your current account.

Then run ATFCleaner with everything checked to remove unnecessary temporary files and clean out the Prefetch folder. Reboot a couple times to repopulate the Prefetch with fresh files.

Once that's finished, defragment the C: drive (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools).

Let us know if this regains some space and ups the performance a little.

Carrie1

Carrie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Wannabe1 - I am unable to delete user.Windows2 - 3 deleted w/out problem. I've rebooted to see if it DID delete but wasn't updating - not the case - and i've tried deleting while holding the shift key - still there. I removed carrie.carrie things too. So I'm still stuck w/ all users.windows (my current) and all users.windows2.

the delete box "ran" and acted as if it was deleting all files - should i try the ATFcleaner anyway?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...go ahead and run ATFCleaner, then defragment the drive.

You might try using Move on Boot on the folder that won't delete. The program is pretty straight forward and easy to use.

Carrie1

Carrie1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thnx for all your info and help - I've rebooted multiple times and the Windows2 is gone. I've run the ATFcleaner - great program! I'm preparing to run thru the defrag but I did want to ask about the following folers:

1d3931fd01db9d3244de5dc50255
9fcb5704be50db236ec7a002cf0a4cc6
33fd1fd595d25f1bb1791d42
cbb1e12941f9976c8d1ad028

my sys has been screwed up for so long I can't remember what's "normal" and what's not. Start up appears to be faster - but I've gone thru to delete some items in my startup using msconfig. And my "magicjack" phone isn't starting automatically right now just to help w/ the trouble shooting and faster replies to you. It won't be until i turn that on that I'll be able to judge start up speed. And once i start surfing and USING PC i'll better ascertain speed also too. w/out defrag I've already recovered some space. Cleanup.exe is very similar to the ATF but not xp specific - a goody that was handed down from a computer buddy of mine.

let me know about the above files please - other wise - i've very grateful for this site AND more so for your expertise!