Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Broadband connection dropping

• Please log in to reply

jaydee97

jaydee97

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I hope this is the right place. You guys helped me out when my son had a problem so I remembered you!

Basically I have a (supposedly)2mb broadband connection (though it's downgraded to 1MB as I have never had 2mb, I'm told due to distance from exchange) that keeps dropping out. Most often it starts at about 5:45 almost every evening, but also at various times over the weekend (rarely during the day). BT say there isn't a fault on the line (they've checked it about 6 times now as I keep insisting there is a problem. My isp is UKOnline, they've got me to change my equipment and try allsorts, but they keep saying all they can do is report it to BT, who then say there isn't a fault, so I've been going round and round in circles for the past 6 weeks and have now started to have phone rage!

I have changed modems, microfilters, eliminatated the network as a problem by attaching just one PC directly to the modem(s), changed every cable, made sure there is nothing interfering nearby by switching off almost everything in the house. I am not particularly bothered by any slowness that might occur when other people come online (to be honest, we never really noticed any) but these are proper dropouts, the internet light on the modem goes out, then turns red, then comes back, usually takes about a minute, sometimes 2 or 3. Over a period of an evening it can drop out about 60 times. NOTE: this only started to happen abput 6 weeks ago, it has been fine for several years.

Does anyone know of any diagnostic kind of software I can run to prove these dropouts please?

Incidentally, BT tell me they can't guarantee anything because of the distance from the exchange but my neighbours have good 1.5 meg download speeds. I feel cheated that I'm paying for a service that is very low quality but I'm hitting a brick wall and don't know what else to do.

If anyone has any suggestions , please let me know. I'll be back online after work tomorrow and will try anything anyone can throw at me.

Thanks in anticipation

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Can you post some make and model information - router/modem/pc please

just to confirm - when you have one PC connected to modem it still drops connection
AND

the internet light on the modem goes out, then turns red, then comes back, usually takes about a minute, sometimes 2 or 3. Over a period of an evening it can drop out about 60 times. NOTE: this only started to happen abput 6 weeks ago, it has been fine for several years.

Is that the only light to change?

Did UKONLINE supply the modem and have they changed it at all ?

Sounds like a modem or line issue here
ukonline are normally very good at identifying this type of issue

you can do a speed test and line quality test here
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

FAQ for line quality tests here
http://www.dslreport...__Line_Quality_

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Can you post some make and model information - router/modem/pc please

Modem is an Actiontec wireless (sorry forget number), also tried a BT Voyager 205, dropouts occur with both.

PC is any combination of Lenovo, Sony Vaio and Acer. Have tried each one individually attached directly to modem, (not via network) still happens.

just to confirm - when you have one PC connected to modem it still drops connection

Yes

AND

[quote]the internet light on the modem goes out, then turns red, then comes back, usually takes about a minute, sometimes 2 or 3. Over a period of an evening it can drop out about 60 times. NOTE: this only started to happen about 6 weeks ago, it has been fine for several years.[quote]

Is that the only light to change?

Yes

Did UKONLINE supply the modem and have they changed it at all ?
Yes they supplied it and no they won't replace it, which is why I have borrowed other peoples.

Sounds like a modem or line issue here
ukonline are normally very good at identifying this type of issue

you can do a speed test and line quality test here
http://www.dslreports.com/stest

FAQ for line quality tests here
http://www.dslreport...__Line_Quality_

Look very similar to reports I've already run, there's little point, to be honest, I know the speed is low and while there isn't a problem it doesn't flag up a problem, if you see what I mean! Because I don't know when a dropout is going to occur, I can't time anything to run, I need something which runs in the background all the time. In fact what I think ought to happen is that BT, UKOnline or both should have some diagnostics running for me, but trying to get someone to do something like that appears to be impossible.

Incidentally, ukonline say it is not their equipment in the exchange (unlike other exchanges) so they cannot physically do anything other than keep reporting it to BT.

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I forgot to mention, the Actiontec modem has a DSL light and an Internet light. The DSL light stays on, the Internet light goes out, then red, then comes back on. It doesn't look quite the same on the BT Voyager because it doesn't have the same lights.

While the Actiontec is a wireless modem, I don't use it wirelessly at all..

(I also meant to say thanks, by the way!)

Edited by jaydee97, 12 November 2009 - 10:12 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Signal problem is what it seems to me as you have done the switching of hardware. This includes different systems from what I am reading.
Same time everyday you stated in one post indicates a drop in signal at that time.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
looks like a line issue if

Modem is an Actiontec wireless (sorry forget number), also tried a BT Voyager 205, dropouts occur with both

and occurs on three seperate machines connected with two different modems

I would suspect anything from the connection at the rputer back to the exchange

looking at the actiontec manual I have all indicate that the internet should be green ....
there is a status page within the wireless routers I have manuals for (if you could post the number) and that may help - if you do not have a valid IP from the ISP during the disconnect

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'll post the model number when I get home, thanks

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
The modem is an Actiontec GT701-WG. It does seem to have system logs but there's no date so I can't tell where they're from. Example lines:-

23:12:43 Elapsed Time syslog: failed dns request len=146,srcip=195.40.1.36, url=THINKPAD.domain.actdsltmp
23:12:44 Elapsed Time syslog: failed dns request len=146,srcip=209.213.196.218, url=THINKPAD.domain.actdsltmp
23:15:01 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:15:21 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:15:41 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:16:01 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: No response to 3 echo-requests
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: Serial link appears to be disconnected.
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: Connection terminated.
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: Connect time 5.9 minutes.
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: Sent 49567 bytes, received 156201 bytes.
23:16:20 Elapsed Time pppd[525]: Exit.
23:16:21 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:16:25 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Plugin pppoa loaded.
23:16:25 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: PPPoA Plugin Initialized
23:16:25 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Plugin pppoa called.
23:16:25 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS
23:16:25 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Options file - /etc/ppp/options.0.38.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: pppd 2.4.1 started by admin, uid 0
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: setting line discipline hook
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: connect_pppoatm_ses...Enter
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: connect_pppoatm_ses: socket created fd - 0xf.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: connect_pppoatm_ses: setsockopt called.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: connect_pppoatm_ses: connect successful.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Calling line discipline hook
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Setting pppoatm line discipline.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: vc encaps.
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Using interface ppp0
23:16:26 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: Connect: ppp0 ->
23:16:41 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:17:01 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 212.135.1.36.
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read start 192.168.0.2
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read end 192.168.0.254
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read interface br0
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read opt router 192.168.0.1
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read opt domain domain.actdsltmp
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read opt dns 192.168.0.1 212.135.1.36
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read opt subnet 255.255.255.0
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read opt lease 86400
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read conflict_time 86400
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: read lease_file /var/tmp/udhcpd.leases
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: local IP address 87.82.28.99
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: remote IP address 89.200.128.196
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: primary DNS address 212.135.1.36
23:17:02 Elapsed Time pppd[536]: secondary DNS address 195.40.1.36
23:20:00 Elapsed Time -- MARK --

As I said, no idea when this was because it's not 20 past 11 yet so certainly not now. May even have been when I was fiddling about with stuff!

Edited by jaydee97, 12 November 2009 - 03:37 PM.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
some details here
http://www.actiontec...d...=71&typ=all

There are a few versions here
USB
and two different firmware
Which one do you have

it may need a firmware upgrade, whats the current firmware inthe machine
Latest firmware is GT701-WG NCS 3.0.1.0.6.0

Heres the usermanual for both versions
http://support.actio....60.2.0.6.3.pdf
chapter 6 - shows the status
I would look at that and see what happens when it disconnects (use a PC thats conected by cable)

http://support.actio...3.0.1.0.6.0.pdf
chapter 5 page59 - shows the status
I would look at that and see what happens when it disconnects (use a PC thats conected by cable)

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It has the latest firmware, that's one of the first things I did. I'd like to reiterate, I have swapped to a different modem and still have the same problem. There isn't anything at all that hasn't been swapped in order to be eliminated, including all cables. I use the ethernet port but I have also tried attaching just one pc via the USB, still the same dropouts.

I think I've established that the system log starts again when the modem is switched off/on, so the times in the list are times since boot up. I've realised that it should help me to see what the messages are when the connection drops. What I'd like to do is send those details to someone who cares, either at bt or ukonline but I don't hold out much hope the way things are going:-(

Thanks for your help so far.

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
your welcome,

I think you should go back to ukonline and see if they can deal with BT for you , not sure what the T&Cs are , sure they have some getout with BT, but you are paying them for the service.

Have you got the router connected to the main telephone socket in the house, you seem to have covered everything else

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

your welcome,

I think you should go back to ukonline and see if they can deal with BT for you , not sure what the T&Cs are , sure they have some getout with BT, but you are paying them for the service.

Have you got the router connected to the main telephone socket in the house, you seem to have covered everything else

I have spoken to ukonline about 30 - 40 times now, at least 4 times a week. I've also spoken to bt directly about 6 times. I have told them both that I'm paying for a service that is faulty and I'm very dissatisfied. BT keep saying there isn't a fault (when they test it, which obviously there isn't because they test it when it's fine anyway). UKOnline keep telling me there is nothing else they can do. I keep hitting the same brick wall and am getting very angry.

Yes I've had router directly into main socket, there really is nothing I haven't tried!

I feel my only option left is to ditch UKonline and go with BT themselves so that at least I am dealing with only BT, but I also think that's rewarding BT for a crap service!

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
very difficult position, and you have done everything......

Local trading standards - Consumer Direct offers national telephone advice on 08454 04 05 06.
They helped us with a newcar my daughter was buying, when the dealer tried to up the price on a scappage deal, and the advice was excellent.

Possibly UKONLINE may do a little more, when you tell them you are leaving ..

good luck

jaydee97

jaydee97

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've told UKOnline I felt the only option left to me was to leave them and they offered me the Mac number:-(

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
oh dear, I would have expected in this climate they wanted to keep your money..