Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question involving two montiors

• Please log in to reply

Zylocks

Zylocks

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
i just got a second monitor and am loving it, although there is still one thing that bothers me.

im trying to get it so i can play a game on one, and have msn and other small junk on the other, but while in a game, i cannot cross my mouse over to the other monitor (for good reasons i guess). Ideally, what I'm thinking of is setting it up so when i press and hold a key, my mouse will be able to cross on over without minimizing the game. is there any way i could set it up like this, or some other way of going on msn with the game still open?

currently i have to alt tab, completely defeating the purpose of two monitors.

thanks!
-Adam

*edit* also, i can move msn, firefox etc from one monitor to the other, but when i open a game, it always opens in the same monitor. If I wanted to change it up, how would I do so? changing one from primary to secondary doesn't seem to effect it.

Edited by Zylocks, 09 November 2009 - 11:30 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you told of nothing about your computer so we can't even guess.

I use UltraMon to control my dual monitor setup.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
oh, well i thought it didn't matter what my computer was made up of. do you need to know the parts? or the monitors or what?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes, it matters. If we know brand and model numbers, we can look up manuals. If we know the OS, we can look up commands. Is it PC or notebook? Dual monitors work differently with notebooks. Are you using on-board graphics or a card? Or two cards?

XP? Vista? Win7? The commands are different depending on the OS (and no, we can't go by the XP you have listed in your profile because you may have more than one computer.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
oh ok, sorry.

i am using a pc with xp. i'm using one card. i think thats all the questions?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I suggest UltraMon.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Ditto That!

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
sooooo would there be any way of setting up some kind of hotkey that lets me move my mouse out of applications that dont normally let me go to the other screen? like games?

*edit* or just set it up so i can (by holding, or letting a key go) lock my mouse/unlock my mouse on a certain monitor?

Edited by Zylocks, 11 November 2009 - 02:08 AM.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
now after restarting my computer, my computer only detects one of them :).

i can switch around which one it detects, but can't seem to get them both working again.

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
actually, when it first starts up, like when the windows loading screen comes on, both monitors are displaying it.

then when it asks me to sign in, only one monitor displays it. everything after this point only displays one monitor too.

what happened :)

Zylocks

Zylocks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
yaaay..