Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Office 2007/2003

• Please log in to reply

sdfitgirl2004

sdfitgirl2004

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a laptop that had the Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 trial installed. Since I didn't like it I tried to install the Microsoft Office 2003, as I kept the activation key when I bought it 3 years ago (I don't have the cd, just the "installer"). Everything seemed to work out well. I've been using it without any problem. Today I tried to open an "excell" file and it opened with Excell 2007, and I got a message saying that the trial version had expired. I tried opening Excell 2003 and I had no problem. I even saved a file, but when I tried to open it, it opens with Excell 2007 and I can't modify it, as I get the message saying that the free trial expired. That doesn't happen with Word. I can use it without any problem and I can open and modify documents. I tried to uninstall Office 2007 free trial but just doesn't work. What can I do?
I have other concern... I'm afraid that when I uninstall Office 2007 Trial I lose Office 2003. The reason I'm afraid of that happening is that when I went to "uninstall programs", I tried to look at how much room Office 2003 took and it's blank, as if it wasn't installed. I also tried to reinstall Office 2003 and I couldn't. Everything is very weird...
I hope someone can help and advice me on what to do.

Thanks!

Marcela

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
right click on one of your XL files (make sure they are .xls and NOT .xlsx )
choose
Open With....
Choose program

This will list all programs installed on the PC
Scrool down - you should find excel 2003 listed
choose that program
Tick box
Always use selected program.......

sdfitgirl2004

sdfitgirl2004

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks! That was what I was trying to do but did not know exactly how to... Thanks!