Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Screen locking up

• Please log in to reply

bwk9087

bwk9087

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I have a dell 531 desktop that is has a screen locking up issue, goes to wierd display, when using onboard video, or frozen screen with video card, where I have to power down to reset it, and it is happening more frequently now. It happens in any program, or OS, normally runs Vista, have Ubuntu live, and same problem. Have ran memtest 86 on ram, locks up before it can complete. Have take out each stick of ram and tried with it like that, same thing. Hard drive is removed with Ubuntu. Video card is removed, using onboard, upgraded bios to latest version. Swapped power supply with a good one, and swapped cpu with a good one. Has to be motherboard, correct?

thanks

Advertisements

bwk9087

bwk9087

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok, more info, felt around inside of case, I have a large heatsink that is very hot. I placed the case fan on top of it, and now I have run thru 2 memtest passes, no errors. Does anybody know what this heatsink is for? In the picture, it is in the lower right side, right above the 13 number, being held by the spring arm.

m2n61axfullip7.jpg

Is it the onboard gpu?

thanks

Edited by bwk9087, 10 November 2009 - 03:59 PM.

bwk9087

bwk9087

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok, on third pass of memtest, it locked up again.