Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro - no music or floppy

• Please log in to reply

gorila

gorila

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Gurus,
I wonder if you could be so kind as to cast your expert eye over my recurring problems? My techspertise is minmal. For various reasons I sometimes format the HD & re-loaded Windows XP. All OK except no music & no 3.5 floppy drive.

Wins prog. Gives its usual beeps, but no music (sound card not recognised?). Following Wins. ‘Help’ I discovered driver for Via AC’97 in Device Manager has yellow tag – hardware conflict? Sadly, ‘Help’ has no page for hardware conflict. Is this a Bios problem, perhaps?
I downloaded & installed a ‘later’ VIA driver, but no change.

For the floppy drive, Device Manager reports ‘This device is working properly’. Oh, what a whopper! It aint.

Please advise as I am getting a hump-back taking the box to down Ah Fong’s Computer Emporium. The chaps there titter every time I show up.

With thanks, Gorila

Advertisements

LINKUP20GS

LINKUP20GS

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Just uninstall the audio driver and reinstall as for your floppy drive check the bios and make sure the floppy is enabled. if it is and it still doesnt work replace the floppy drive.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you reformatted and reinstalled windows, did you install the drivers for your motherboard? these would include drivers for onboard controllers, (such as a flopy drive controller) and onboard sound, as well as any onboard video, LAN, etc. if you dont have them, open your case, look at the motherboard, it should be labeled with make and model number. go the manufacturers website, should be able to download the drivers.

volcomssj48

volcomssj48

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I don't think he knows what BIOS is

gorila

gorila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yo!
Many thanks for the advice guys. I will try. The motherboard driver seems the best bet since everything works after I take it back to the shop. Altho I know about BIOS (nothing works if you fiddle with it), I never knew motherboards had drivers. May Allah enlarge you all. Gorilla.

gorila

gorila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
as per advice, I opened box. Look no farther - motherboard manual & drivers CD fell out. I loaded the drivers following the spiel. Lovely! Music again! Floppy drive doesn't show on Desktop, but minor prob. I will look at this later. Many thanks again, Gorila.