Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp death, catchme style

• Please log in to reply

powerader

powerader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys,

I just posted this in the windows xp section, too, and wasn't 100% sure where it should go.

I'm new here, and I am having some problems with windows xp with what I believe is a rootkit called "catchme". I can't start the computer in safe mode, and when I start it normally, I can't do anything productive. I've followed the steps laid out at the start of the windows xp repair topic, and gotten to the point where the partitions are laid out. There are 4 separate partitions, -: Partition 1 [FAT], C: Partition2 [NTFS], F: Partition4 <MEDIADIRECT> [FAT32], and E: Partition3 [FAT32]. In terms of size, partition 2 is the largest. There is also 8 MB of unpartitioned space.

Now my question is, since there is no windows xp listed here, does that mean I will lose all of my data? I have quite a bit of music, so I'm hoping that's not the case.

Also, I was on windows recovery console before finding this website, and went through the listsvc and found what I believe was the problem in a listing under "computer browser" called catchme.

Thanks for any help and for the time in reading this, and double thanks if you can help me fix this without losing my music.

Advertisements